We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location of Kolel Galicia

M F
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
location of Kolel Galicia

to all you helpful people !!

I have been reading Stephen Brook's "Winner takes all", published in 1990, and quote from p.19:

"….(He) left me at the top of some steep steps that scuttled up the side of a house….The steps led to a series of little rooftop terraces linked by walkways and steps. Through unshaded windows I could see small groups of ultra-Orthodox Jews,….They gave me a glance but then resumed their prayers. (He) had taken me to the Kolel Galicia, a community established here in 1830, and then re-established in 1982. One of the little terraces led directly onto the roofs of the souk, the covered Arab markets. Once on the roofs it was easy to walk the length of the souk…At the far end of the souk, steps lead down from the roofs to the renovated alleys of the Jewish Quarter... "

My question: where is the Kolel Galicia? I've been up on the roof of the Jewish Market (where one can look down through openings into the market) - is that it? But though i have photos, this seems to be a more or less quadrangular area, not one connecting the Jewish Quarter to the souk. And, I don't remember terraces and windows. Of course, it's now almost 25 years post-publication.

Help :) and thanks.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location of Kolel Galicia

Try this link http://hjerusalem.com/en/homepage_en.html

M F
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: location of Kolel Galicia

hi,

thanks but - I'm looking for the physical location of Kolel Galicia, e.g. on a google map?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: location of Kolel Galicia

It's not a present-day name of an area, and I (for what that's worth) had never heard of it. A Google search, in Hebrew, doesn't reveal much, except to say that it was also known as Kollel Chibas Yerushalayim (as in Shoshi's link), and doesn't give any location.

A kollel is a type of institution, a yeshiva for married men, and as such it could certainly move - just as schools move from one site to another for all kinds of reasons. It was somewhere in the Old City, no surprise there since that's all Jerusalem was in the 1830s. Apparently this kollel still exists in the Mea She'arim neighbourhood (although it couldn't have been there in 1830 since there were no buildings outside the Old City at that time, and Mea She'arim was not founded until 1874).

M F
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: location of Kolel Galicia

ahhhh - so what Stephen Brook referred to as the "Kolel Galicia" could have moved and now is located elsewhere, or it's still in the location I thought but just isn't known (i.e. findable) as such.

Since It's the view that interests me,.In the meantime, I've emailed him as well asking him if he could locate xthe Kolel Galicia of the late 1980s on a map.

thanks again.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: location of Kolel Galicia

The quote in your OP seems to indicate that the author is talking about the original 1830s location.

<< the Kolel Galicia, a community established HERE - meaning where he is standing at that moment - in 1830, and then re-established [DOESN'T SAY WHERE] in 1982. >>

I don't think the 1982 (and contemporary with the time it was written) location would fit with the rest of that paragraph. To me it seems clear that he is talking about the original location, in the Old City. You wouldn't see Arab markets from Mea Shearim. The renovated alleys of the Jewish Quarter are definitely in the Old City.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location of Kolel Galicia

It seems that you have been in the exact location of what you are looking for. The rooftop view is on top of the Arab market accessible via the Jewish Quarter. The area is quite large and leads to the Moslem Quarter where there are several small yeshivas and Kollels, perhaps one is the Galcia Kollel you are in search of. You can contact the East Jerusalem Development Company who may be able to help you with the exact location.

Chana

Israel

7. Re: location of Kolel Galicia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:17