We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple Mount

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Temple Mount

Do any of the resident experts on here know if non-Muslim tourists are being granted access to Temple Mount at this time? I know there are restricted times (3 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon) and I know that entry can only be gained from one of the gates leading onto the compund. However, I read that there was no entry at all for non-Muslims during Ramadan. Ramadan is now over, but, unless I have missed it, there doesn't seem to have been anything on the forum for a while as to whether things have returned to the normal practice?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,756 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temple Mount

Entry is theoretically permitted now, However, it can be closed at a moments notice if the police feel it is not right! ie. the Arabs are angry at someone or something and may become violent. There is no way to know until the actual day what is happening on that day--and that could change, as already said in a moment.

It hasn't been discussed on the forum---since no one asked.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temple Mount

The Temple Mount is open for all visitors at the set hours (short Friday, Saturday, Jewish/Moslem holidays and their eves). However, as mentioned above the situation is very dynamic , therefore you should check the day of the visit. You could feasibly call the police at the Western Wall, but going there on your own and checking for yourself is the best way to know the situation (if you you haven't heard/seen anything on the news). No one is allowed in the buildings, as usual.

Chana

Israel

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temple Mount

Thanks guys

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temple Mount

Chana, I am sorry, but you are incorrect. The Temple Mount is open to Jews and other non Muslims Sunday to Thursday only. Through the Mugrabi Gate (accessed through the main Dung Gate, or from the Western Wall Plaza). Summer hours are 7:30-11:00, 13:30-14:30. But the gate could close at any time with no warning due to Moslem rioting. Religious looking Jews are very limited as to how long the police allow them up, and they are closely monitored to insure they do not pray, bow, or "commit" any other Jewish ritual. All other non Muslims, including Jews who do not dress as religious Jews, are pretty much free to wander as they choose within the given hours and days.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temple Mount

Linda welcome to the forum. Thank you for contributing the information about visiting the Temple Mount.

Not sure where I was incorrect. As someone who goes up to the Temple Mount with clients, I am thoroughly familiar with the hours, the days of the week, dress code, action code, etc. The OP knows when the Temple Mount is open, knows where the single gate for non-Moslems and knows that on Ramadan it's not open to non-Moslems. Please enlighten me to my error, as you call it.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 18 August 2014, 15:58
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temple Mount

I think maybe Linda misunderstood "short Friday, Saturday, Jewish/Moslem holidays and their eves"

I assume you meant. "NOT on Friday, Saturday........etc. . But she may have interpreted the word "short" differently.

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temple Mount

The Temple Mount is currently NOT open at all to non Muslims on Friday or Saturday ever: you wrote short Friday and Saturday, implying that it was. As for Ramadan, the closure is random: this year the Mount was closed to Jews and non Muslims the entire month of Ramadan for the afternoon, and only (?) for the last two weeks completely. The closing is random, and certainly not backed up by any law, or official decision. The opening hours and closure to Jews and all other non Muslims have been under intensive discussion in the Knesset for the first time since 1967, and hopefully things will change

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temple Mount

That is correct Linda, the Temple Mount is not open on Friday and Saturday ever which is exactly what I wrote in my post. Sorry you did not understand what was written, but it certainly was not inaccurate.

Chana

Israel

9. Re: Temple Mount

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16