We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Jerusalem

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Jerusalem

Hi

Without offending any private guides that read this. We have heard of the free Sanderson Walking Tour of Jerusalem.

Is this tour sufficient to get an overview of the Old City or should we still arrange a private guide for a 1/2 day or full day tour?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,345 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

While not a guide the free tour is frequently mentioned on this forum. A few years ago I went on it to see what it was about. It is a general overview of the Old city. You see a large number of places but nothing is done in great depth. Depending when you go on it,the group may be large. Do not forget the motivation for offering the tour is towhet your appetitie so you will sign up for longer paid tour.

If you do decide to go,the guides on the free tour work for tips only. It is appropriate to tip at least 50 NIS per member of your party.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

I think either that overview tour or a relatively inexpensive (but not free) Four Quarters walking tour from Zion Walking Tours is a great introduction to the Old City. As rdglady says, the point is to whet your appetite to see more -- and it will give you ideas of what you want to see more of. You can hire a private guide for that more detailed exploration.

Go for it!

Douglas Duckett

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

The old city at first seems to be an absolute maze of streets to get lost in so the free overview will be helpful to get yourself orientated.

When you go into the Old City, go in through the Jaffa Gate. Just inside on the left hand side there are two information centres. Go into the second one as they have a free map and other free info which could be helpful.

Check out the pages at this site for ideas also.

biblewalks.com/Sites/Jerusalem_Gallery.html

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

I also want to add that you should never worry about "offending the private guides" who post on here. With due respect for their valuable contributions to this forum, this forum is NOT for guides -- it is for visitors. You hire whomever you want and don't hire whomever you don't want. You never have to worry about defending such a choice or explaining it. Guides are not allowed to push their services on this forum, and most who do post on this forum are very good about respecting that boundary. In any event, however, no one should ever feel remotely obligated to use any of them, or any guide at all for that matter. It's a very individual choice.

Good luck in planning your trip!

Douglas Duckett

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

Thanks rdglady, Douglas & Heather for your advice.

The website provided was helpful..

I think we will do the free tour (& tip as suggested) and then do private more detailed day tour.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

I'll second Labatt that this site is for visitors and there's no reason to worry about offending tour guides. I've never tried the free tour myself, but I think that if you have enough time you can follow this advice. Otherwise I would go with a reputable tour guide, or if money is a concern, with a tour company and a somewhat larger group. I've done both and you basically get the same, but sometimes it's annoying to move around on the narrow streets with a larger group.

UK
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

As a tourist having done Sandemanns tour of Old City I can say its a great introduction to it and remember even if you hired a private guide for Old City you still wouldn't get all there is to know about it. Old City has layers, layers, layers and layers of history! Do make sure you get on to the Temple Mount!

8. Re: Tour of Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:16