We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

Our flight arrives at 4 PM, so by the time we get to the hotel and settle in, we'll be ready for a light dinner which hopefully will help get us on local time.

We're staying at the Cinema Hotel and would like an easy walk, light dinner. I'd appreciate your suggestions for this local area of Tel Aviv!

Thanks!

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

Ask at the front desk -- I usually found themgood with suggestions. If you like fish and seafood, walk up Dizengoff a few blocks to Goocha -- fresh, well-prepared, casual, good wine, good people-watching. It can be busy some nights of the week, but the front desk can tell you.

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

I believe Goocha is where I ate also, and ditto AZZenny's recommendation.

By the way, the Cinema Hotel people recommended a great falafel place called The Magician, which is about 3-4 blocks away on King George St.

And on that same street, there's a friendly neighborhood bar I frequented, called Bar Silone.

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

I have not yet had a chance to try Goocha, but of the places I've been personally, I'd go with Orna V'Ella. It's on Sheinkin Street. You might also enjoy a stroll on Rothschild either before or after dinner.

frommers.com/destinations/telaviv/D59223.html

fodors.com/world/…entity_39553.html

The sweet potato pancakes are the restaurant's "signature" dish and they really are fabulous.

I'd recommend calling ahead for a reservation anywhere you decide.

Daphne

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

While those restaurants receive consistently high ratings in this Forum, they are about a 20 minute walk from the Cinema Hotel, so you should plan to take a taxi if you want to dine there and are tired from your flight.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
473 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

GooCha from the Cinema Hotel is a good suggestion.

Also, as you leave GooCha and return to your hotel take note of the Cafe across the road in the centre of Ben Gurion. Its a great place for breakfast, the breakfast offering at The Cinema being entirely dispersible. Take my advice, it is a poor example of an Israeli Hotel breakfast.

Another nice breakfast venue on your way back is Idelson, 25 metres south of Gordon, you'll enjoy eating on their patio.

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

Let the Orna V'Ella vs. Goocha battle begin! ;-)

Just kidding, of course.

Here is the Hebrew website for Goocha:

www.rest.co.il/sites/Default.asp…

Here are photos of some of their recommended dishes

Orna V'Ella doesn't have many photos on their site, but here are the photos of their recommended dishes:

Perhaps I'll do menu translations later...

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

Graham, I know you said before you weren't pleased with the Cinema's breakfast, but we thought it was pretty good -- I've been there twice -- and other travelers have given satisfied reports. It is of course a matter of personal taste -- for ex. I thought the YMCA 3 Arches breakfast was among the least appealing -- although the Kinar Village was definitely worse.

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

Cinema Hotel breakfast was OK, but Graham's a stickler for eggs, and that's where Cinema falls down. If you want a sensational hotel breakfast, there's nothing like the King David in Jerusalem. Then again, the room rates are through the roof!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,224 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

You can save enough money on the room at the King David to buy three breakfasts with scrambled eggs every day! :-)

I love both Orna and Ella and Goocha. But for a first night after a long flight, I'd pick Goocha, which is closer.

Douglas Duckett

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner 1st Night - Staying at the Cinema Hotel

I had a couple of great meals at a Japanese restaurant a few blocks north on Dizengoff called Japanika. I would skip the Indian place across the street. My meal there didn't agree with me at all. The guys at the front desk at the Cinema Hotel will offer some great suggestions. Have fun.