We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masada

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Masada

For those thinking of taking a trip to Mesada,

here are some pictures that can get you warmed up...

mordagan.com/links/…tourweaver_mezada.html

All the best,

S.

Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Masada

Awesome!

Randolph, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masada

Nice job! Great pictures! For anyone visiting Israel, Masada is a must see! Be warned though if you are visting in the summer time that it can get awfully hot there. If it is your first time traveling to Israel, be sure to also plan a trip to the Dead Sea while you are in that area.

Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Masada

I was at Masada in June and it was so crowded that I couldn't enjoy the site. This July we will be staying at the youth hostel and getting up to climb and watch the sunrise. What time will we need to start out and what time is sunrise? This should be much cooler and less crowded. Also, what time does the cable car start running?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masada

Wow. Thanks! Could you tell how long it takes to hike up there and what is the level of difficulty?

Israel
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masada

How long is directly related to how good of shape you are in :). It is approximately one mile and around 1000 feet or so of elevation gain (estimates). Walking at a fast pace without stopping takes about 20-25 minutes. When my wife was visiting her mother hiked it in a bit over an hour at a slow steady pace with occasional stops.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Masada

20-25 minutes? Wow, that's fairly quick. I remember going there once and someone mentioned that they have an annual race up the Snake Path. I think the record is something like 11 or 12 minutes.

My recommendation? Take the Snake Path for what it is and was. Don't feel pressured to race up but instead walk up and soak up the history turn around once in a while and gaze at the Dead Sea, the outlines of the Roman Encampments, and transfer yourself to a different time period.

By the way, the cable car opens up at 8 AM.

have fun

Dr. Z

Israel
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Masada

I do it as a challenge - as I said it is a quick walk without stopping! Where I am from in Colorado Springs we have something called the incline. One mile over 2 thousand feet of elevation gain. We do that for getting in shape - Masada is quit easy in comparison.

Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Masada

How early is sunrise in July? What time would we need to start out? We have 4 teens and two in our early 50s, so I gues we have a fast group and average paced group. I also hope the hostel will be able to pack us a light breakfast/snack.

Israel
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Masada

I think sunset is between 5:30 and 6 in July. It will probably take you around an hour - not more than an hour and a half. It is certainly hot in the summer so plan your start accordingly.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Masada

According to some online astrological tables sunrise in that region is approximately 5:33 AM in July. You would probably want to be up top about 30 minutes before that to start getting some of the beautiful dawn colors over the Jordanian mountains. So if you plan for an hour walk you may want to start around 4am. Bring flashlights since it will obviously be dark and bring water. Even at that early hour it will be quite warm in July at 5 am

Dr. Z