We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

london
2 posts
Save Topic
AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

I recently visited Israel with my new wife (part of our honeymoon) for a friend’s wedding and was looking for a week’s accommodation in central Tel Aviv. Some friends of ours stayed at a hostel on Gordon Street, which was very cheap but apparently perfectly adequate. We decided to pay a little extra to have a self-contained apartment and based on the photos from the Authentica website decided it would be a good bet. We paid $110 USD per night to stay in one of their apartments in Zichron Yaacov Street, which was quite expensive but based on photos seemed good value.

On arriving we met at the apartment with the Authentica representative, who seemed polite and explained about the local area and also agreed to allow us to keep our baggage in the room after the normal 10am checkout time, as our flight was not until 9pm. However, things quickly took a turn for the worse. We soon realised that the apartment was in a state of complete disrepair. We noticed the following:

1) Mould all over the walls

2) Dirty and broken cutlery, crockery and glasses

3) The plastic kettle had completely melted and had a hole in the bottom, which was completely unusable

4) The rubbish bin had not been changed from the previous guests

5) The bathroom was absolutely filthy

6) The shower smelled like a sewer and the shower head had broken off so was hanging loose (although did still work fortunately)

7) The sink taps were either cold or scalding hot, with no middle ground

8) The double bed was actually two single beds, which sloped together so you’re constantly sleeping on an angle

9) And finally... there were random holes in the wall from electric plugs which had been taken out.

I contacted Authentica to let them know that I was concerned with the condition of the apartment and I was quite astonished at how rude they were when I did speak to them. I was incredibly polite with them and they did finally agree to provide a working kettle and agreed to take off one night’s rent, but said that the rest of the complaints were unreasonable and that $110 was very good value for this level of quality in Tel Aviv. I know that this is untrue as other friends have since told me they stayed in self-contained apartments for much less than we paid and they were really luxurious. Authentica refused to receive my phone calls thereafter. I tried to contact them to show them round the apartment and point out how it was completely uninhabitable, but to no avail.

We spent as little time as possible in the apartment and on our final day, the authentica rep’s husband showed up an hour before our official checkout time to hassle us to move out. He also refused to allow us to keep our bags in the room, as we had previously agreed, which meant we had to carry out bags into central tel aviv where we took them to the Gordon Street hostel, who were more than happy to store our bags for the day. We were as polite and friendly with Authentica as we could possibly be, but the experience was really awful.

I would advise you to AVOID any Authentica apartments as not only are they poor value for money and frankly awful places to stay, but the Authentica staff are unapologetically rude and unfriendly. There are plenty of great places to stay in Tel Aviv, so make sure you don’t make the same mistake we did!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

Please write a review in the acommodation section. It is really a pity as the location of the flat is very good.

london
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

Hi Shoshi

Yes, agree it's really a pity. The location was very convenient, but it was spoilt by our bad relationship with Authentica. In all my years of travel, I've never had a situation where I've felt so strongly that I actually had to write a bad review. Much as it pains me to say it, I would suggest people avoid these guys

How do I write a review in the accommodation section?

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

I'm so sorry to hear about the miserable experience you had at this apartment - especially since it was your honeymoon, too. -- Mazal Tov.

Yes, please post a review about this place. to do that look at the menu bar at the head of the page - click on "write a review" and then follow the prompts.

Thanks for sharing, even though it was not a pleasant experience - and hopefully the bitter taste will not keep you from visiting us again.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
701 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

Your experience is a SAD one! I'm so sorry.

We may be ending up in an ap't in Nov. in Tel Aviv & jerusalem.....but previous experience tells me that I hand over NO money until I have checked the ap't with the rep there!

All of our ap't experiences around the world have been terrific....with Buenos Aires being THE BEST!

What I HAVE tuned in to is that if someone says you can leave luggage until you leave for the airport........GET IT IN WRITING!

Thanks for sharing......................Ronnie G.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

Sorry to put a "spanner in the works" so to speak but I have a completely opposite review!!!

My girlfriend and I are from the UK and we stayed in the Authentica Apartment on Emanuel Haromi last Summer and had an AMAZING time.

From the very start, the Authentica representative was very communicative, preferring to speak to me on the phone rather than via email. I found Authentica Apartments after much searching on the internet, and from the photographs, the apartment looked INCREDIBLE value for money compare to a lot of what was on offer.

When we arrived in Israel and phoned the representative to arrange to meet at the apartment she offered to pick me and my girlfriend up from the station as she was passing by, and she drove us to the apartment herself which was MUCH appreciated.

From the outside, the building did not look much...but to be honest a lot of the residential Tel Aviv architecture has that look to it. However, as soon as she took us in to the apartment we were wowed. We stayed in an apartment which was one of three sharing a kitchen/dining area (with our own bathroom). The apartment throughout was finished to a HIGH standard - very stylish (clearly the owners spent a lot of money in IKEA!). The kitchen had everything we could want and MORE, including a washing machine, tumble drier, and dishwasher (which was a total surprise to us...and much needed after travelling around Israel, staying in hostels!). There was even basic food items such as cooking oil tea bags, sugar, salt, pepper etc.

The room itself was equally as stunning.....cool, and fresh decoration, with a powerful air con (much needed in August). The double bed was very comfortable and the bed linen/towels were again clearly very new (and again, from IKEA!). There was a small "living" area with a sofa and table/chairs....plus a lovely flat screen TV mounted to the wall (another surprise!) with a YES box (Israel's satellite TV service) meaning that we could snuggle up and watch movies in the evening if we wanted to.

The bathroom was amazing.....very very clean. The shower was a massive walk in glass unit, with a huge "rain" shower head which was lovely, and a stylish sink unit.

We THOROUGHLY enjoyed our time in the Authentica apartment (which was number 1031 on the website if anyone is interested).

I know that whenever we go to Tel Aviv in future we will DEFINITELY try and get the same apartment.

Forgot to mention some other points:

- The location is nice and quiet.....not quite 10 minute walk to beach, more like 15/20 especially on a hot day, but it is a pleasant walk and takes you past lots of nice shops, cafes and restaurants.

- There is a big supermarket 5 minute walk away.

If I HAD to make one criticism it would be that the walls were quite thin, meaning that we could sometimes hear our neighbours talking, but we had really friendly neighbours so we were fine with it...we just had to make sure our TV volume wasn't too high!

I believe that all of these apartments are owned by different people, so it could well be that the apartments the previous reviewers have stayed in were not as nice. But I can confidently say that apartment 1031 (and I assume any others owned by the same owners) was beautiful and comes HIGHLY recommended (and I am VERY fussy when it comes to accommodation...especially in terms of bathrooms and kitchens!)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

One time posters ( both the original and the last one) always make me wonder. However, the first one did come back and comment ( although never wrote a review) Now we have someone who joined in July, was in Israel in the summer and 6 months later writes a fantastic report about an apartment. morewired, what else did you do in Israel besides stay in this fantastic apartment. ( it is always strange when someone resurrects an old thread that is very buried on the boards.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

My feeling is that TripAdvisor reviews are 100% trustworthy - 90% of the time - 50%by first posters.

Edited: 09 February 2011, 14:13
Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

C'mon guys.

It appears that Authentica Apartments was rennovated sometime between Sep'10 (bad review, comments about old, junky furnishings) and Feb'11 (good review, lots of comments about brand new IKEA furniture and accessories).

Thanks, DavidN89, for the updated review.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

people lie on ta?

lol

Barcelona
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AVOID Authentica Apartments in Tel Aviv!! Bad news!!

The good review is from the summer, not from now (he sais "we stayed in the Authentica Apartment on Emanuel Haromi last Summer") but on the other hand the one with the good review did register in July to write a review on some bar. To me it looks like both of the are authentic as they stayed in 2 different apartments and there can be a big difference between apartments (usually, the website does not own the apartments it just publish them).

I assume that, like some Israeli service providers, they are nice when all goes well but when they get complaints, especially ones that they can do nothing about, they turn nasty and rude trying to avoid a refund.