We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

We will make our second trip to Israel from November 25th to December 11th. It sounds sort of interesting to visit Amman and Petra for a few days. I have researched the trip from Jerusalem to Petra and Amman. a few questions:

1- it seems easier to go from Israel into Jordan that Jordan into Israel. Also, the Allenby bridge seems like a real pain. Does it make sense to take the bridge other bridge across the Jordan (not the eilat bridge)?

2- I wonder if this trip makes sense...Jerusalem to Amman, to Petra, to Eilat, back to Jerusalem? Maybe three days total.

3- Looking also for a nice one day tour of the Judea/Samaria area. I already have a tour planned of Ariel and that area. Any tour companies to recommend?

todah raba.

Greg

Taxi Gold
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Israel Private Tour Guide
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours
Arik Private Tours In Israel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

If your primary interest is Petra, you should just cross in the south at Eilat in both directions and not go north in Jordan at all. If you have a few more days to add Madaba/Wadi Rum/Jerash/Amman/wherever else you want to see in Jordan then cross once at Eilat and once at Allenby. It's just as much trouble going from Jordan to Israel as from Israel to Jordan so it shouldn't matter how you do this. Not sure what your tour of Ariel would include -- there aren't any tourist attractions there, there's a shopping center and a junior college and that's about it.

new jersey
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

i agree-- i would just do petra-- we have done the eliat-petra-petra eliat in one long day-- that also gives you more time to explore other parts of israel on the way donwn to eliat. Border crossigs between the two countries are a serious affair--, but easily dueable.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,725 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

Amman and Petra are quite far from each other. If you plan a few days in Jordan I agree that a visit to Wadi Rum, Jeresh and Mabada should be added as unique sites.

Regarding Judea and Samaria, what sites are you interested in? Josephs Grave and Sebastia or other areas? It would be best to visit these areas with a licensed guide who knows the area well and can take you from place to place without any problem.

To afzPeru, Ariel is one of Israel's cities which has grown into a busteling town with modern housing, industry and all the services required in a town. It is interesting to see how on a barren hill where nothing ever grew and no man ever lived, how a city has come to be (with over 20,000 people). Also the College is soon to an accredited university (and was founded only 21 years ago).

Chana

Israel

Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

I dont know what to do. We want to go to Petra and Amman, but the cost of getting Jordan visa's in advance if we enter Jordan on the Allenby bridge are very high. I suppose we could go to the Jordan embassy in Tel Aviv, but they are only open between 10am and 2PM. So maybe it makes sense to do this:

From TLV or Jerusalem (which is easier?) to Eilat (one night in Eilat), to Petra (one night in Petra), to Amman (one night in Amman) then to Jerusalem via Allenby bridge.

Is this crazy to do?

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

That's the easiest way to do it. Note that there are many more interesting places in both Israel and Jordan than Amman. Not a bad place, just not somewhere I would necessarily make a priority on a short tourist visit.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

You can DEFINITELY skip Amman. Jerash is interesting....but you have Roman ruins in israel.

Do go to Petra....and I loved Wadi Rum.

We did Egypt,Jordan & the Red Sea last year on a separate trip.

ENJOY! Ronnie G,

Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

Amman visit-

Why do i want to go to Amman?

sounds kind of cool...who goes to Amman, why not us?

can use points to stay at the Hyatt in Amman, looks like a nice hotel.

Sounds like an adventure to cross the Allenby bridge, might be fun.

Maybe I should just stay inPetra at the Crowne Plaza and forget Amman?

I could be convinced to pass up Amman if I could find a good one day tour of Judea and Samaria.

Thanks so much for ideas! We will be in Israel from 11/25 to 12/11.

Edited: 21 October 2010, 17:50
Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

If you're going to Amman primarily because you like the idea of crossing the Allenby Bridge... definitely skip it. It's just like waiting for several hours in an airport terminal only with more people.

What are you interested in seeing in the West Bank? By calling it Judea and Samaria I assume you're mostly interested in the settlements? There are a number of Egged lines you can take easily from Jerusalem that go through 8 or 10 settlements, although there are no tourist attractions as such. You can also take a tour of the Jewish community in Hebron. Arabic cities in the West Bank -- Bethlehem, Jericho, Hebron, Nablus, Ramallah, etc. -- are also very easy to reach and have much more in the way of traditional tourist sites.

Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

Do you know of any good tours of the interesting sites/settlements in the West Bank?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,725 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Amman and Petra...is it worth it?

There are many varied and interesting sites in Judeah and Samaria such as the Tomb of the Patriarchs in Hebron, Jericho, Wadi Prat (great hiking spot), Mevo Horon (ancient road to Jerusalem), Nebi Samuel (prophets tomb), Sebastia (Roman ruins), Rachel's Tomb, to name a few. For those interested in visiting settlements and tours of wineries and other factories there are hundreds of options throughout the area. To find a suitable guide I recommend using the Israel Guides web sites where you can make a search according to your own criteria.

Chana

Israel