We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
"Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

Tel-Aviv is no. 3 - after New York and Tangier, !!!!!

lonelyplanet.com/usa/…76165

3. Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv is the total flipside of Jerusalem, a modern Sin City on the sea rather than an ancient Holy City on a hill. Hedonism is the one religion that unites its inhabitants. There are more bars than synagogues, God is a DJ and everyone’s body is a temple. Yet, scratch underneath the surface and Tel Aviv, or TLV, reveals itself as a truly diverse 21st-century Mediterranean hub. By far the most international city in Israel, Tel Aviv is also home to a large gay community, a kind of San Francisco in the Middle East. Thanks to its university and museums, it is also the greenhouse for Israel’s growing art, film and music scenes.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

GREAT!! at long last others think so too.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

I Can't say that I'm surprised :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

I'm only surprised that Lonely Planet, long the most anti-Israel/anti-Zionist of the guidebooks, recognizes anything Israeli as positive.

Kol ha-kavod!

Douglas Duckett

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

Well, I've been to NYC and LOVE it. I've been to Tangier and HATED it. I hope I love Tel Aviv (I'm sure I will).

Edited: 02 November 2010, 08:52
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

Douglas--It isnt a surprise that Lonely Planet was able to praise Tel Aviv. In its' praise instead of just listting all the good qualities of the city it managed to make fun of the Jewish nature of Jerusalem and Orthodox Jews. Certainly they could have given the compliment in a more positive way. Attributes could be indicated without listing them at the expense of Jerusalem ( and I am not saying that it is undeserved, just written in what I consider to be a nasty fashion) I also hate the word "sin city' Does that mean that all that goes on, all the listed qualities are a sin?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

rdglady - we often call Tel Aviv "sin city". They must have heard it from a local. Anyway remeber Bilam בלעם and his donkey. They had difficulty prasing something in Tel Aviv so they made that comparison. Not a big deal, this list has lots of commercial power.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

Shoshi--there is no doubt in the commercial power of the list. That is a great aspect of it. Reality is, as more people visit Israel ( even "sin" city)--it will be harder for the liars to demonize the country. People with first hand knowledge know the truth!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

"Hedonism is the one religion that unites its inhabitants".

from Wikipedia:

"Hedonism is a school which argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good.[1] This is often used as a justification for evaluating actions in terms of how much pleasure and how little pain (i.e. suffering) they produce. In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize this net pleasure (pleasure minus pain)."

If you enjoy something it must be sinful ;-)

9. Re: "Lonely Planet's Top Ten Cities for 2011" (3.Tel-Aviv)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 05:16