We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone contract

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone contract

Please can you advise.

1) Which is the best cell phone company to take out a contract with

2) What is the shortest contract one can get. Can you get a 1 year contract? (Blackberry)

3) Do you get free phones with your contract or can you just take out a contract if you already have a phone

Many thanks

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone contract

The 3 major players are : Cellcom, Pelephone, Orange.

all of them are good. Cellcom is the biggest cellular operator in Israel.

All operators offer many kinds of deal with long term contract (18 months usually). There are many deals... for example... "free IPhone"... if you talk with a price of 200+NIS than you are not paying for the phone itself in this specific month.. etc...

The shortest contract is a "Big Talk"/"TalkMan" which is buying minuets in shops and load your phone. just like MTN do in South Africa...

If you are not buying your phone in the cellular company than you can get many many different deals (also with no attached to the company). It is really hard to tell what are they because they change rapidly and it depends how much you talk and SMS. You can buy a known in advanced package.. for example 500 SMS to all operators, 200 Minutes to all operators, 500 min inside your network for X NIS... with this kind of deals you can always know what will be your phone bill (of course if you are not talking more than agreed in the deal).

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone contract

I think that most of the contracts are for a minimum of 2-3 years (although apparently this will change in the near future) so I may not be practical for you.

As for Elad's statement "all of them are good" - this applies to the service, but most people I know have had problems with their contracts and payments at one time or another. If you do sign a contract I recommend taking a native Hebrew speaker with you and in all cases make sure that everything is put in writing !

I recommend the Orange BigTalk (it is what I use). I recall posting the prices at the Post Office for you several months ago.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone contract

Thank you both. Yes mbgg you did post the prices several months ago but that was for short term that I needed (a few weeks), this is now for long term - min 1 year. I wouldnt want what we call a "pay as you go" because that works out to be very expensive, hence the 3 questions. Perhaps question no 2 of mine was a bit confusing by me asking for the "shortest contract" - my mistake - apologies.

I want the "shortest long term" contract if that makes sense. In other words not just buying minutes and using them up. A contract whereby you pay per month and get minutes and sms included at a good deal.I have heard from different people that the min. is 2-3 years from you and 5 years from someone else 18 months from Elad. So just not too sure still. Mb can you tell me more about the "Orange Big Talk" - many thanks Diva

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone contract

The minimum now for contract with any cell company is 18 months by law! No more 3 years. The deals that offer free phones if you use the phone for a certain amount do not include the extras like internet, music downloads etc. They also have a limit of minutes and if you go over them - you pay.

If you have your own phone you can find, by shopping around, pretty good deals with the cell phone companies.

As for which company is better - they are all about the same...

Edited: 06 December 2010, 06:24
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone contract

The BigTalk is very simple - you just go to the Post Office and top it up when your balance gets low. The price per minute is higher but there is no monthly minimum, there is no contract and no promises that they do not keep. The service is limited, e.g. there is no internet access and you cannot call outside the country, there are no "family packages", etc.

It all depends how much you will use the phone. I put in about 200 NIS per year so it is obviously cheaper for me than a long-term contract, despite the higher charge per minute.

All of the companies have stores in the major malls. You have to spend a morning going to all of them to check what they offer.

I do not know if the packages are available to persons who are not Israeli citizens or permanent residents.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone contract

Thanks Erirya - that's the answer I was looking for - the 18month min.

And mbgg - it would be for an Israeli citizen - permanent resident.

But internet would be important because its for a Blackberry phone so the BB messaging would also be important. Thanks for you r help so far.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone contract

>>Thanks Erirya - that's the answer I was looking for - the 18month min.<<

No, that's 18 month MAX. The Israeli law does not allow any more for the cellular company to handcuffed the client (speaking on private clients only).

I don't know the Blackberry phone but I can tel you that Wi-Fi is widely available in Israel... (even in Haifa beach shore) so I doubt how much you will need this. Some of my friends has IPhone and they never use their internet as they always use the Wi-Fi.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone contract

Erirya said 18month MIN for a contract not Max - most contracts I know in S Africa r 2 years MIN so I think his MIN statement is correct.. Pay as yuou Go or top up is just that pay as u go or top up all over the world + is VERY expensive generally all over the world

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,938 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone contract

The 18 months is maximum. In the past phone companies would demand 3 year contracts. Recent legislation limits them to no more than 18 mos. On the other hand, I doubt that they offer shorter contracts. The cell phone companies are not know for their magnanimity.

Beyond that, you would really have to go in and talk to a rep. The companies each offer a myriad of plans and the differences are confusing, their websites do not provide enough clear cut information, it is definitely a sector where "buyer beware" has to be the watchword.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone contract

Elad,

I wrote 18 months! Neither min mor max. Just 18 months!!! I just renewed my contract - it is 18 months!