We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport to/from Eilat?

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Which airport to/from Eilat?

I am trying to book flights to/from Eilat. Can you please inform me as to which airport would be the most convenient:

1) Going from Jerusalem to Eilat

2) Going from Eilat to Jerusalem.

I understand we can fly out of either Sde Tov or BG, but I'm not sure if one is a better choice than another.

Thanks in advance. :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

BG is closer to Jerusalem, with good transportation (shared taxi).

Flights from Sde Dov are more frequent, but if you can find a convenient flight from BG , it is a better choice.

Note that fligths to Eilat leave from terminal 1, a few km away from the international terminal 3.

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

Oops -- I mis-posted and I don't see a way to edit what I wrote.

I will be going:

Jerusalem to Eilat to Tel Aviv.

Does that change anything?

Sorry to have to ask again.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

I second to MB_Rehovot opinion... better choose Ben Gurion airport as it's closer to Jerusalem and has better transportation to the city.

note that there are 3 airlines flying Eilat - Ben Gurion (El Al, Arkia, Israir) unlike Eilat-Sde Dov which only Arkia and Israir are operating on this line.

Edit: What do you mean by "Does that change anything?" ?

Edited: 24 December 2010, 06:43
California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

I was wondering if, since we are going to stay in Tel Aviv after Eilat, that would mean that Sde Dov would be better or if BG is still the best choice. So sorry for the confusion.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

It is very simple:

Jerusalem to Eilat - via BG

Eilat to Tel Aviv - Sde Dov.

Sde Dov is more convenient for Tel Aviv, but BG is OK as well. It just involves a longer taxi ride.

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

Thank you very much. I'll use BG on the way out and SDE on the way back. I really appreciate your help. :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

Check the luggage allowances before you buy the tickets. Sometimes internal flights have lower allowances than international flights. If you have to leave luggage behind, you may be able to do so at Ben-Gurion, but then you'd have to return there to collect it, before going on to Tel Aviv.

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

Pitzikat --

Wow! Great advice. I hadn't even thought of that. We are planning to take very little luggage but I know that sometimes our plans don't work out in the end.

:)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

I seem to remember other posters being concerned about baggage but then reporting there is some leniency with tourists from overseas! --Check with your airline. ( not their website)

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airport to/from Eilat?

Another thing that you should know is that some of Arkia flights are Low Cost..(Ben Gurion - Eilat) therefor they are cheap (starting 79 NIS one way usually required 3 month ahead booking) However as a low cost flight you will have to pay for luggage. So pay attention if the flight that you are booking is under "Arkia Express". Notice that even with luggage this flight might be cheaper than any other airfare ticket on this route.

Booking these flights is via Arkia site.. however for some reason the Arkia Express page is not available in English ( I can only guess that is because they wish that tourists would book full price ticket..? ) I have emailed them about this but there was no respond. Maybe if you will email them with booking request they might do something about it.

Arkia site: http://www.arkia.co.il/click/cl_4101.main

Edited: 24 December 2010, 20:05