We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS for Israel

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
GPS for Israel

Hi

Does anyone know if I can upload ISRAEL map into my tomtom?

If not, what does it cost to buy an Israeli gps for a car, outright?

And are they easy to find? I will be able to buy one in Tel Aviv.

I think $18 a day to hire a gps is pretty expensive.

Buying one may cost the same - and I can then use it for future visits.

thanks

Bergen op Zoom, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS for Israel

I hired a car last year and asked for a gsp.

The car rental (Budget) dit not recommended a gps in Israel, because it doesn't work in and near the Palestinian territories.

And we were about to drive through the West bank.

We did everything with a map and that worked fine by us.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS for Israel

You really don't need a GPS in Israel.The road signs are clear and also in English. The main problem with the GPS in Israel is that the English spelling of the names differ and some times doesn't make sense at all. For example, you can encounter different spelling of a town's name on the same road. The poor GPS is unable to figure it. Buy the English version of MAPA road map book and you will do just fine. You can find iit in any book store.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS for Israel

thanks for the great advice. I have been told by others that they too were directed towards the west bank with their gps!

Wonderful idea to just buy a MAPA map book. I will have time to pick one up.

Thanks so much.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS for Israel

we used a gps enabled android phone that had apps for google maps and navigation. spellings were in english, but tricky. before we left, I trained the unit so I would know the correct spellings of ayalon institute, beit guvrin, etc.

google maps gave real time lications but did not.automstically update directons aftet we msde our occasionsl wrong turn.

the gps was also invaluable in trying to find restaurants when walking around jerusalem. also with a cellcom sim card and the talkman 30 day unlimited data package , the gps was free!

Edited: 02 July 2011, 14:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS for Israel

thanks tzhs, but I think this may be too technical for me. I am not sure I am up to 'training' a phone. but I do appreciate your input.

my daughter has an iPhone. Does that do the same job?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS for Israel

by training, what I meant was to type in the loations I wanted to visit, to make sure that I had the correct spelling. I.e. bet guvrin v. beit guvrin v. bet guivrin. similarly, making sure that I had a way of locating the ammunition factory in rehovot (google maps did not recognize ammunition factory or ayalon institute or machon ayalon, but when I entered in the street name and rehovot, google maps found it immediately). based on the comments of others in this site, gettng the spelling correct is a problem for all gps users in israel, and doing it from home was not so bad.

re the iphone, there was an article in the june 29 2011 new york times on this exact topic! gps use itself is free! However, downloading the maps themselves can incur exorbitant data charges. the article discusses a new iphone app that allows travellers to download maps before they leave, and store the maps on their iphones. however, the maps for tel aviv and jerusalem are only in hebrew. so unless you are comfortable with maps written in hebrew, you are left with paying high data charges for downloading the maps, or buying an israeli sim card. or renting a gps from the car company, of course.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS for Israel

you can learm more about using the iphone's gps abroad by googling "offmaps 2 foreign roaming". that search includes a link to the new york times article.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS for Israel

I dont think the israel map for tom tom exists. it does for garmin, but only on certain models.

using gps and maps on a cell, while abroad, can result in massive data charges. best to check on those before trying that.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS for Israel

tzhs,

If the spelling of names in Israel would have been consistant then maybe you could "train " your GPS. unfortunately, it is not. I don't know where those who are responsible for the signs get thie ideas for spelling, but for example, the letter "K" rarely appears. Petach Tikva is spelled on the road sign "Petah Tiqwa". What would the GPS use? I have no idea. There is a small place near the airport called Kfar Daniel. The road sign spelles it "Daniyyel"... Herzelia is "Hezeliyya" (or something similar)... Carmiel is "Karmiel" ect... We think it is a joke.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPS for Israel

thanks everyone. I will either hire a gps directly with my car hire or use a good old fashioned map!!