We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calling card from US to Israel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
calling card from US to Israel

Can anyone recommend a calling card for my husband to reach me on my cell phone while I am in Israel?

Thanks,

Audrey

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,568 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: calling card from US to Israel

My suggestion would be to go to the local store that has cards and compare.Don't be fooled by the one that advertises Israel-it may or may not be the least expensive. Watch for surcharges every time you call. A 50cent surcharge per call is huge money! Be aware that most charge a fee once you start using them. I can't tell you the best--since I haven't used them in years and they keep changing.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Audrey, just have your husband buy a $10 block of time on One Suite (www.onesuite.com). He can call you using that on a cell phone for about 8 cents per minute, and you can use that to make domestic or international calls almost anywher.

Douglas Duckett

new york
Level Contributor
237 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: calling card from US to Israel

If I may add just be careful from calling cards that offer very low per minute charge but have hidden fees such as monthly service charges or connection charges which can get very expensive!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Thank you for the thoughts. I did indeed notice that the calling card pricing is majorly tricky.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,436 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Why not just use your regular home phone or his cell phone? My Verizon cell phone has an excellent overseas plan. I only had to call them and it was easily added. Rates were low and it just showed up on my regular cell phone bill. Pretty clean and easy.

Dr. Z

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Another option to consider is a service such as Skype or Goggle Talk - either one will allow you to call Israel for a low rate, no monthly charges, no service fees and no wasted cash left at the end if you don't use everything on the calling card.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,568 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Now that you mention it--I believe skype is busy offering one month free to try to get you to sign up for their telephone services. Check that out--maybe you can get it all for free! ( best price ever)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Because of our business he needs to be able to reach me from his cell phone, and the available rates are high.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Not if he buys minutes from One Suite and uses their access number -- which he can do via cell phone or land line. Really -- this is cheap and easy.

Douglas Duckett

san diego
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: calling card from US to Israel

Let me share the alternative ways to call Israel that I use: first, www.jajah.com - you initiate the call from your computer, but you talk from your phone, if you both members (which is free), the call is free too! Second: http://www.localphone.com - 1 cent per minute, no connection or service fees.

I hope it will help