We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting here from Eurpoe

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
getting here from Eurpoe

Hi All

Do we have any experts among you who could advise me on travelling by air from Europe. I plan to be Italy and France and possibly a few days in Greece. At this stage I am looking at options myself one by one and its taking me forever and then Im not sure if its a good airline or not (safety wise). We will be on a budget so I am looking at budget airlines. Im sure that it will be cheaper to fly to Tel Aviv from some destinations rather than others. Would you suggest a particular budget airline or perhaps suggest ones I dont use. Im hoping to have about 5 days in Israel. Not long enough I know but this is a taster for a longer trip in a few years time

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: getting here from Eurpoe

When you are looking at "cheap" departure points, you will need to consider the cost of getting to the airport for the "cheap" flight. A flight leaving at 4 a.m. is likely to be cheaper than one at a civilized time, but how will you get to the airport?

Unsafe airlines are not allowed to operate within the EU, so yes, any airline flying from Italy, France or Greece is safe.

But when are you planning to visit Israel? Some months are cheaper than others, regardless of where you are flying from. At peak holiday times, fares obviously go up. There is no one airline (anywhere in the world) that is always cheaper. It depends on the date, the day of the week, the time of day, how far in advance you book... any number of factors. None of this is specific to Israel.

EasyJet and Jetairfly, as well as several German budget airlines, fly to Tel Aviv.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting here from Eurpoe

Thanks Shuffaluff

We plan to be in the UK late May and return to Australia late June 2013. Only 5 weeks leave but longer day light hours by June plus not in the middle of tourist season. Its good to know about no unsafe airlines allowed in the EU. There are plenty in our neck of the woods (the asian region) that I would not travel on. I didnt realise Ryan air and Easy jet flew into Tel Aviv. These airlines dont service us in Australia so Im not very familiar with them. I will begin my search with them tomorrow. I think Ill work backwards and see where they fly to from Tel Aviv and try to plan it that way. Already youve been really helpful and pointed me in the right direction

Thank you

PS Is there any time that would not be good for us to be in Jerusalem during May/June?

Any major festivals or days we should avoid?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting here from Eurpoe

Our Shavuot holiday falls this year on 14-15 May 2013. That is a good time to avoid visiting. Otherwise, the rest of May and June are fine. If you choose to visit in June, I suggest as early in the month as possible to avoid the height of our intense summer heat.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting here from Eurpoe

No, Ryanair doesn't fly to Israel.

EasyJet flies from London Luton. I've used it, and would use it again.

In 2013, you might want to avoid the religious holiday of Shavuot (Wednesday May 15). From the point of view of what's open, what's closed and what doesn't run, it will be like a Shabbat (the Sabbath, Saturday) - no public transport from about 4 p.m. on the day before, resuming after dark on the day itself.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting here from Eurpoe

If you are in the UK in june then from the south use easyJet. If you are up north then Jet2com fly from Manchester.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting here from Eurpoe

easy jet also flyes from france,and check the regular airlines,sometimes they have offers

7. Re: getting here from Eurpoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 10:16