We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of taxi ride to airport?

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of taxi ride to airport?

Hi, Finishing my wonderful tour of Israel and was just informed that the Tel Aviv Airport is quite far from Tel Aviv. Can you tell me about how much a taxi will be from City Hotel on Mapu Street to the Tel Aviv Airport? Want to make sure I have enough Shekels for this. We have lots of luggage so public transportation is not an option. Thanks!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Cost of taxi ride to airport?

Only to Jerusalem. To Tel Aviv you either take a taxi or the train to Arlozoroff/Savidor staion and then a taxi.

Chana

Israel

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Cost of taxi ride to airport?

Hi, I arrived in Tel Aviv this week for the umptienth time. Just wanted to share some of my findings with the taxi. Firstly there is no sign up any more with the price of the taxi. They dont offer you the fixed price unless you ask for it. I asked what the price was to Tel Aviv because my flight was delayed and I arrived after midnight. I had 2 suitcases and 2 hand luggage. The person "in charge" of the line said it would be 173 shekels which i thought was quite a lot but I know that it is more expensive after midnight and and on Saturdays. I asked him if he suggested I put on the meter or take his fixed price and his answer to me was "that as a tourist, I should take the fixed price because you never know if the taxi is going straight there or taking you around in circles.:"He gave the price to the taxi driver. When i climbed in I asked the driver if it would be cheaper for me if he put the meter on. He said it was my decision. So I decided to once again try the metered fare. I noticed however that the driver charged me for 4 suitcases although hand luggage should not be charged for. I didnt say anything The driver went straight to my destination and there was no traffic. The rate came to 176 shekels. Had he not charged for the 2 hand luggages it would have been just under 179. I gave him 180 and told him to keep the change which wasnt much but I know that you dont tip taxis in Israel . My point is that this is the 2nd time i have used the meter and the price is more or less the same. Is not worth taking the chance. One should just take the fixed price BUT you now need to ask for it otherwise the meter automatically goes on. Going back is always cheaper - about half the price on Hadar.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Cost of taxi ride to airport?

Welcome back !!!

The price was cheaper because you arrived after midnight, there was no traffic, and assuming you went to your daughter, you hardly encountered a traffic light after exiting from Ayalon. The fare using the meter would have been higher if you had gone to the center of town or arrived at an hour with substantially more traffic.

The current Hadar Taxi daytime rate for returning to the airport is 100 NIS (I ordered a taxi for some guests this week).

Edited: 12 June 2014, 06:35
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Cost of taxi ride to airport?

One clarification. When the supervisor asks where you are going he will give a fixed rate unless there is none. There is a screen by the taxis where you can check the flat rate on your own The rate is automatically higher leaving the airport than one to the airport plus extra for each piece of luggage and extra person over 2 plus night/Shabbat charge. So the 100 shekels opposed to 179 is logical. The flat rate is always based on a true rate through experience(specifically regarding airport rates and not in town).

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Cost of taxi ride to airport?

Why is the rate leaving the airport "automatically higher" (other than the 5 NIS "airport surcharge") ?? Most taxi companies charge the same (official) rate in both directions, but since Hadar Taxis HAVE TO go back to the airport (they have the franchise) they have apparently lowered the price to ensure that the taxis don't go back empty.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Cost of taxi ride to airport?

The official rate is the MOST a cab can charge. No one prevents them from charging less for a flat fare. My driver usually charges slightly less no matter where I am going. Hadar, since they do not get many passengers BACK to the airport, and unlike other cabs must go back --they offer a discount to encourage fares. ( versus someone calling a local company)

67. Re: Cost of taxi ride to airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:15