We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

Chennai (Madras...
9 posts
Save Topic
cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

someone pls tell me if there are cheap accomodations in tel aviv apart from hotels, like guest houses etc...

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,435 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

It would be quite helpful if you gave your definiton of "cheap".

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

Google "hostels" and you will find a wide range to chose from. Dirt cheap means sleeping with your sleeping bag on a roof top however, many hostels are very reasonable priced and offer private or double rooms with a private ensuite.

You could also look at the Beachfront Hotel which is more like hostel accommodation but in an excellent location and clean, but tiny rooms.

beachfront.b144sites.co.il/home.html…

Mentioned in this post
Beachfront Hostel
Beachfront Hostel
472 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

You can find some cheap sublets in Craigslist by people going away and wanting to cover costs. Bypass the holiday rentals which will try to get you by three times as much!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
40 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

Have you tried to look for apartment / room in "airbnb" ?

I checked "airbnb" yesterday and I saw there some really interesting offers..

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

Holiday rentals using reputable websites and companies are a good option for tourists and more secure than using Craigslist. I would not recommend Craigslist for short term holiday rentals in any country. This is one of the biggest scams- I know of what I speak in this case. Forewarned is forearmed.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

I disagree with this. Almost every time I have come to Irael for a short period I have always found excellent sublets on Craigslist with private people going away needing to cover their costs.

I know there is a lot of scam artists also operating on the site as well as shifty agents trying to make a killing on vacation rentals, but it is easy to tell the difference as usually the scam artists and agents never write many details, dates or prices on their adds whereas legitimate people almost always write specific dates their place will be available, they give an exact address and when they answer your request they give their cell phone numbers, or Skype address so you can be in communication with them right away. A scam artist hardly ever does this and he usually asks for a money order to be sent to some obscure address that is not even in Israel.

An agent trying to make a killing will usually not be very personable, and it will all be about business. He will quote a price such as $10,000 shekels a month for a one or two bedroom apartment wheras with a private individual the price range will be at least half of this.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

Other tips I forgot to add:

Make sure to check out the perosn's Facebook profile you are renting from, or ask if you can friend them for the time you will be subletting or renting from them. It is hard these days to fake a profile. There is a good chance that if it is legitimate there may be photos of the apartment somewhere in their photo albums.

If you have a friend in Israel, have them check out the place you want to rent and make sure it is legit. Usually a con artist will stop communication once you suggest your friend to come and check things out. Even if you don't have a friend in Israel, just suggesting it can separate the con artist from the legits.

Vacation rental sites charge a middleman fee which I try to avoid. Even airbnb tends to be pricey in Tel Aviv with usually the most basic amenities (microwave, toaster, no oven..)

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

Shira--I am glad you have always had success. A friend in Israel to check things out is definitely a plus. FAcebook profiles are meaningless. A friend of mine needed more friends for games. So her cat and dog each have a profile. They even have their photos next to the profile. ( we all use them for extra friends)

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

There are many reputable companies that act as agents for landlords and offer a level of protection without ripping off the consumer. I often rent apartments in Israel. Once I went directly with a landlord. The price was the same except for a small admin charge to rent directly or through a third party company. The difference was the refund policy and the guarantee. This makes a big difference in the comfort level of many people.

In the past few months, I have been involved with renting apartments off Craigslist and the sophistication of the scam artists is quite incredible. Facebook is definitely not a way to ensure that the person is legit. Getting a copy of the persons passport is not reliable (you would be amazed at how many of these are stolen), getting a certified document stating the owner of the apartment is not reliable unless you know the lawyer and the stamp as legit. Do you really want to deal with this when on holidays? Maybe so, but for the regular tourist, protect yourself and your holiday and use a reputable company.

I realize this is not for everyone but in the last year we had a very sad situation here on tripadvisor where a family was out on the street in Jerusalem at 1:00am after being rented an apartment by someone and when the person living there came home, well, they were out on the street, out of money, little children and no where to go. I really felt for them.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap acomodation in Tel Aviv

A Facebook profile alone is not good enough unless you combine it with a video chat on Skype which I should have mentioned.

In these matters you have to use your own judgement and intuition and if you don't feel comfortable doing this then maybe it is better to use a more reputable company.

This is the third time we are subletting short term in Israsel from adds we found on Craigslist while we were in Canada and we have always been very happy and the people subletting to us have also been very nice Israelis.