We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling New York City to Israel

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling New York City to Israel

My wife and I are thinking about traveling back to Israel this October to celebrate a special anniversary. Query. Is one day of the week better than another for airline travel vis a vis best rates, times, et al? I understand only El Al and Delta go Non-Stop.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,620 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

Monday-Wednesday are least expensive. Direct from USA- El Al/ Delta from JFK, El Al/United from Newark and US Air from Philadelphia all have direct flights to Tel Aviv.

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

You can easily check this on sites like Expedia or Travelocity by selecting different dates for your flight.

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

The only difference for the day of the week is that El Al doesn't fly Friday nights and the flights on Saturday night leave very late since it has to be after Shabbat and then some. Theoretically there's less competition those days which sometimes means higher prices, But I'm not so convinced that M-W are automatically cheaper, Any holiday , US or Israeli will affect prices.more than day of the week

Luckily, all the the major fall Jewish holidays are all in Sept this year, not October as often occurs.

I like using the Matrix site which lets you plot an entire month's worth of flight fares. You can put in the number of days you want (say 8-10), choose nonstop only, and say"NYC" to see JFK and EWR results combined. You wll see exacty which specific days cost more, and if adding or subtracting to the number of days can make flights cheaper.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

I regularly fly El Al and they are not cheaper on any specific day of the week. I just played on the El Al website for Oct. departures. Generally speaking, the second half of the month is less expensive BUT there is a Monday and a Thursday earlier in the month that has tickets for that same less expensive price. A this moment you can get an economy for $1207.97 in the second half of Oct.

I had never heard of Matrix and also just tried it. It did NOT show some of the less expensive flights that I saw on the El Al website. I do not not know if it was accurate for Delta.

www.elal.co.il/ELAL/English/States/General/

I personally like flying night flights. There is an 11:50 flight that gets you in at 5PM or so. While some say you do not have a first day, you are also able to WORK on the day you leave! You are also in better condition jet lag wise than when you take a day flight and you land in Israel at 6 or 7AM Israel time and it is 7 hours early NY time ( so your body has essentially lost its' entire night) Returning to the US I love the 001 which leaves Israel at 1AM and gets back to JFK at 5:40AM --so you can, if you want go to work the same day. ( I did many times before I retired)

Ontario's...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

I actually found that a few airlines were cheaper on Shabbat, since it isn't a popular travel day into Israel maybe?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

Got me, care to share which airlines. Otherwise your response is not helping anyone.

7. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 13:55
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

Haim B, this is the latest in a series of prohibited ads. Keep in up, and you'll be banned from the forum altogether.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,620 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

Yes you are correct that the direct flights on Delta, United and US Air can potentially be less expensive for Shabbat travel. Any airline will be most expensive om Sunday and Thursday amd should be avoided if at all possible (note that with early booking you may find cheaper flights any day of the week - at least 3-4 months in advance).

Chana

10. Re: Traveling New York City to Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 07:17