We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

england
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

After spending months planning our trip to Isreal, these have all gone out the window as I have just had surgery on a broken foot and am unable to get around easily. We now plan to go straight down to Sinai and chill out for the first week.

We arrive in TA at 7.30pm on a Thursday eve. (2 adults 1 child ). How long does it approx take to clear the airport. We were thinking of getting overnight bus to Eilat. If we get train into TA, is it far to bus station? Other option is get train from Ben Gurion to Be'er Sheva and then catch bus to Eilat. Trying to keep down costs but more importantly avoiding too much walking as will be on crutches. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

What time of the year are you coming ? What is your itinerary after the first week ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

The bus station in Tel Aviv is not very close (to someone on crutches) to any of the railway stations. The closest is Hagana (the first station after the airport), but from there it's a good seven minutes' (able-bodied) walk to the bus station, and you then have to navigate the labyrinth. Not recommended.

Beersheva is logistically easier. Beersheva Merkaz (Central) railway station is right next to the bus station. However, you need to change trains in Tel Aviv. The first direct train from the airport to Beersheva (these trains run only at night) is at 00:55, arriving Beersheva at 02:07, and then what?!! First bus from Beersheva to Eilat is not till 7:30.

This coming Thursday there is a bus from Beersheva to Eilat at 01:20 (technically Friday morning), however this bus may not run after the end of August. (Extra buses to Eilat run in July and August, and I don't know whether this particular departure will be running later in the year, if that's relevant.)

Having said all that, the other option is simply to fly. Considering all the logistics, and the broken foot, that seems the obvious solution to me.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

Looks like the direct flight of Israir (code share with El-Al) from Ben Gurion @ 22:05 is full, which leaves the option to fly from Sde Dov in Tel-Aviv, but requires additional trip from Ben-Gurion by taxi or train and taxi. I suggest to quickly search several web sites for availability

b.t.w. KAYAK : http://www.kayak.com/#/flights/TLV-ETH/ results with available places on the 22:05 flight

Edited: 17 July 2013, 13:50
Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

Giora, the OP says "arriving on a Thursday", date unspecified, so I assume this doesn't mean tomorrow!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

<< Trying to keep down costs but more importantly avoiding too much walking .. >>

In that case perhaps you should consider spending a week somewhere on Israel's Mediterranean coast, e.g. Tel-Aviv, Netanya, Nahariya, etc.

If you decide on Sinai, I suggest you post questions on the Egypt forum regarding the current security situation.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Netanya
Netanya
Central District, Israel
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

I agree with mbgg on somewhere less strenuous. You don't say when this trip will be, although I assume it's in the near future. Eilat is boiling hot in July and August. For a relaxing holiday, Tel Aviv and Netanya have much nicer beaches than Eilat anyway.

And I wish you a speedy recovery!

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Netanya
Netanya
Central District, Israel
england
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

Thanks for all your replies. Have decided to get a taxi straight to bus station. Looked at flights, but only expensive ones or change of airport left. We travel 1st August. How long does it take approx to get through airport.

Have decided on Sinai as cost of hotels far cheaper to similar hotels in Isreal when all I will be doing is chilling/resting. Going to play 2nd week by ear depending on how I feel, but definitely Dead Sea and Jerusalem.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

It's a very big airport, involving a lot of walking. Like most airports, they have motorized thingies to transport people with walking difficulties, see here: iaa.gov.il/Rashat/…PassengerswithSpecialNeeds

Tell your airline that you'll need this assistance on arrival.

It can take a long time to get through passport control, which is sometimes extremely slow, and if a lot of flights arrive simultaneously you'll wish you brought a sleeping bag.

Let's see, when I flew back to Israel a few weeks ago my flight landed at 3:30 a.m. I have an Israeli passport and can use the "fast track" which of course won't apply to you. I was in the arrivals hall and ready to get on a train at about 4:15 (too bad the first train to my destination isn't till 5:15!). It will take you longer, with a non-Israeli passport and possibly a long wait at immigration. Not much help, I know!

Taxi: don't go with anyone who approaches you in the arrivals hall. Go to the taxi station immediately outside the arrivals hall, where the official dispatcher will put you into a taxi at the official rate.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 17:20
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

Too late to add this:

The bus to Eilat should be booked in advance. This can be done online only in Hebrew, or by telephone at 03-6948888. (From abroad dial +972 3 694 8888). Bookings can be made from two weeks before you want to travel. You then pick your tickets up from a machine in the bus station. Note that the buses leave from the 6th floor of the bus station (you will enter the station at the 3rd or 4th floor, follow the signs to Egged Departures). I think there's a lift (elevator) but I've never used it. Otherwise it's escalators and sometimes they are not working... :(

The taxi fare from the airport to Tel Aviv is 144 shekels (or 163 shekels after 9 p.m.). There's a small extra charge for more than two passengers, and also for luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ben Gurion to Eilat - help please?

If everything goes smoothly at the airport you should be able to get your taxi within an hour of landing. Of course, there are other factors as Shuffaluff has pointed out above but I have never been at the airport for more than an hour on arrival. You should definitely request assistance from the airline. They can have a wheelchair waiting for you so you don't have that fairly lengthy walk through the arrivals hall and then you also will likely get fast tracked at passport control.