We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Hello to all! I am arriving to Tel Aviv Ben Gurion Aiport at 3 a.m. I am not sure if there will be hotels close to the airport to check in and sleep. We are schlepping a long way and will be tired. We are also wondering if it is smart to book a b n b in Jerusalem instead of driving in to Jerusalem every day from Tel Aviv? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Ben Gurion Airport is located approximately 30 minutes drive from central Tel Aviv. There are no airport hotels in Israel, nor any need for one. Simply take a taxi upon arrival at the airport to central Tel Aviv and check in to your hotel at that time.

Do NOT commute back and forth from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem every day. It simply makes no sense, nor is it easy for tourists to drive inside Jerusalem. I suggest you stay overnight for several nights in Jerusalem. It's well justified to do that.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 21:28
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Much appreciated for your advice! I am just concerned arriving at 3 a.m. is it safe? You say just leave airport, grab a cab, go to a hotel nearby? Right? Thanks!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Quick question, how many shekels should I get from ATM machine when arrive at airport to drive us to the hotel? We will arrive in Tel Aviv, catch a cab to the Dizegoff Suites Hotel and the next day, we will need to take transportation to Jerusalem and also pay in shekels. Do the restaurants accept credit cards? How about Bed and Breakfasts? We will only be there for 3 days. Just a reasonble ball park figure will be great! Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

I would suggest you not stay in Tel Aviv just for a few hours. You might not realize it, but Ben Gurion airport is a busy airport 24 hours a day. There are plenty of flights coming in between midnight and 6am. It is perfectly safe at 3am as it is at 3pm. No need to worry at all about personal safety at the airport.

I would suggest that you go straight to Jerusalem. It is only 15 minutes further in the opposite direction. It makes no sense to go to Tel Aviv for one night and then the next morning go to Jerusalem and with only 3 days, you should just stay in Jerusalem.

From the airport you can take a taxi directly to your hotel in Jerusalem OR you can take a shared taxi (sherut) which costs 62 shekels a person and will take you directly to your hotel. When you wake up, you can start exploring Jerusalem!

I have had no problem taking out 1000 shekels from the ATM in the airport. This is plenty. Your hotel and many/most restaurants take credit cards. Most sites, such as museums and archeological sites that have admission charges also take credit cards.

You need to book a room for the night you arrive and let them know you will be arriving around 5am or so. That way they won't think you are a no-show.

When are you going? If you are going soon, it is high season and hotels are at a premium so you definitely should book in advance.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 00:31
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Thanks for all your info. It's always so helpful and informative. I leave in the morning and I'm very excited about my first trip.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Go directly to Jerusalem from the airport. Take the Nesher shuttle "sherut". These are ten seat minibuses that will take you to your destination in Jerusalem and cost 62 NIS pp. Go out the main terminal door, walk down to the road and follow the signs.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

If you haven't booked your hotel yet then I suggest you go to somewhere like www.booking.com and book it now. That way you will find a hotel that is suitable for your budget and you will know exactly where to tell the taxi driver to go when you arrive.

If you rely on a taxi driver to find you a hotel then you could end up at a place that is much too expensive.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Oh... if you check the map for where the hotel is located, choose a hotel that is as close as you can get to the Old City of Jerusalem, or close to a main road such as Jaffa Road, which has good transport down to the old city.

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Dave

I find it interesting that you say there is no need for one.

By the amount of posts on here asking about an airport hotel, If I was a hotel chain in Israel I would build one!

Most international airports do have airports within or near the airport complex. Do you know why it hasn't? 30mins in a taxi is a long time for most cities.

I guess the taxi drivers wouldn't be very happy for a start!

Sorry to hijack the thread.just interested. :-)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
358 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv 3 a.m.!!! Concerned!

Dave raises an interesting point.

Years ago there was a nearby hotel, but it was never a success. There was never a demand. Because Israel is normally and "end point" (almost no passengers transfer to connecting flights to onward destinations), people want to go to their destination city right away.

Perhaps the time has come.