We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

z2u
boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

Hi! fyi I booked a car thru Hertz and 3 weeks later I got a call saying the car was not available! Ended up with Avis from Ben Gurion--Mazda 5 and car was right at terminal. Fit 4 big suitcases, one carry on, and three people--that's it and not another thing could've gone in. We kept a carry on with relatives till the end.

Stayed at: Hilton Tel Aviv, Leonardo Be'er Sheva, Beresheet, Herods Dead Sea, and David Citadel. Glad to answer any questions.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

How did you like the trip? What were the highlights? It sounds like the car was just the right size, even if one carryon stayed by relatives.

Chana

Israel

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,718 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

How were the hotels?

z2u
boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

We loved the Beresheet hotel and our jeep tour of the crater. Driving through the dessert was amazing. The Dead Sea was incredible, but very warm. Of course, the Western Wall and Arab markets were definitely a highlight. The Mamilla Mall was a nice evening activity, and the zoo in Jerusalem was incredible--not like anything we have. My kids also loved swimming in the ocean by the Hilton.

As far as hotels... Beresheet was 5 star: new, romantic, special, quiet, beautiful. My 13 yr old said she wants to go back in 10 years for her honeymoon! David Citadel was 5 star: great location, great service, busy, immaculate, nice marble bathroom. Hilton was 5 star: renovated, nicely decorated rooms, great food, good service, huge pool. Herods was 3 star: nice decor, great buffets, huge pool, nice beach. But AC didn't work in room, towels were like rags, showers didnt have a door, there was no towel or food service by pool, and when you call the operator or front desk--nobody gets the phone! Leonardo was 2 star: rooms are dark, shower/tub is old, no room service, breakfast buffet was horrible, no valet.

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

You're spot on about the hotel categories. I assume the prices reflected the differences? Beersheva is not much of a tourist town so it's surprising they have any hotels.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

Tourists have been visiting Beer Sheva for decades. I remember being there for a week with my family in 1975! Not sure what exactly we did for that whole time except I do remember the Bedouin market which is no more. It is not exactly a tourist destination but the desert around it is. The airforce museum nearby is an amazing place. I love planes, airshows, air museums and have visited a couple of times and really, really enjoyed it. My husband and I made a day of it but that might be a bit much for others and perhaps a half day would really suffice.

The Leonardo's seem to be hotels that have been struggling and have all been purchased by the Leonardo chain. Some are in better shape than others but given your choices of 5 star hotels, I am surprised you went with this chain because there isn't any chance that any of their hotels really meet this criteria.

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

anmejoshme of course there have always been some tourists in Beersheva and I too enjoyed the air force museum. But since it's neither as historically and religiously important to most people like Jerusalem nor on the sea like Tel Aviv (or even Ashkelon), the time spent there, especially for less frequent visitors to Israel would be minimal and not require an overnight. On group or private tours, I'm sure that virtually all visitors either continue on to Eilat or the Dead Sea, or return to their base in Tel Aviv.

z2u
boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

I actually only stopped in Be'er Sheva because I have a childhood friend who moved there. I don't think there is a better hotel in the area--and it was decent for sleeping. We left in the am...

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

Then it was definitely worth the stop there!

9. Re: Just got back if anyone wants opinions--car/hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:18