We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greeters and tour company

Toulon, France
Level Contributor
344 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Greeters and tour company

Will hopefully find out tomorrow which hotel we are staying in but we have requested the Herod so fingers crossed.

A couple of questions if anyone can help.

Has anyone used the 'greeters' service? If so whats your experience

Can anyone recomend a tour company? I have found one on the lonelyplanet site and read about the christiantours but read some not great reviews about them so if anyone can recomend. I have decided to do the Nazereth day trip and Jerusalem half day.

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Greeters and tour company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 15:05
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greeters and tour company

Alon, advertising your own services and website is not permitted on a Trip Advisor forum. You will probably find your posts will be deleted within a short time.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greeters and tour company

Brittany--what do you mean by "greeters" service. If it is paying someone to help you go through immigration/ customs--in my opinion a waste of money and unnecessary.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greeters and tour company

There is no need for a greeters service. The arrival is extremely straight forward. Follow the crowds to passport control, hopefully you are through in a few minutes, then go pick up your luggage, go out to arrivals, out the doors to the taxi stand, and take a taxi (set prices) to where you want to go. While it might be nice to have someone holding a sign with your name on it, it won't get you through faster and actually as the taxis are waiting and ready to go, it won't even get you to your hotel faster. I would recommend this service for people who are disabled, elderly or perhaps a family traveling with several very young children or those that may need help with mobility or wheelchairs and/or carrying luggage.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greeters and tour company

If you have a few extra dollars from not using the greeting service, I would recommend you get a private guide for your travel days. This allows you the most flexibility. I would strongly suggest that you give Jerusalem more than half a day.

If you want to do a walking tour of Jerusalem of 3 or 4 hours, you can do the Sandeman's Old City Tour. There is a free tour everyday but for a more personal tour, do the paid tour which has a limit on the number of participants.

Egged and United tours offer day tours to Nazareth but usually in conjunction with other Christian sites around the Galilee. They are both long standing, professional companies.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greeters and tour company

Rdglady and Annmejoshme, I may be wrong, but I think maybe the OP is referring to the Greeter network of people - which is not a paid thing.

You can read what it is about on the Global Greeter website here: http://www.globalgreeternetwork.info

There is a Tel Aviv branch of the Greeter network here: http://www.telavivgreeter.com

WisteriaBrittany, I don't know anyone who has used that network of greeters. I do know a lady who met up with a another lady in Tel Aviv through a similar group - I think it was called Women Welcome Women. My friend enjoyed her time with the lady she had been put in contact with.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greeters and tour company

I think the OP needs to return to let us know what she is asking exactly since her question seems to be interpreted different ways.

Toulon, France
Level Contributor
344 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greeters and tour company

Yes its as Heather says. Its a voluntary system, you put in what day and where you fancy going and they try to fix you up with one of their volunteers. Its does sound worthwhile as the volunteers are all locals not employed. Just wondered if anyone had used them but doesnt look like it.

Just booked hotel its the park plaza orchiid.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greeters and tour company

While no one has used the program ( as far as I know) I am familiar with the Big Apple Greeters program and people who use it say it is fantastic. I can't imagine anything less for the Tel Aviv program. If you do sign up and get a greeter, please, please please share your experience with us.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greeters and tour company

I've stayed at the Orchid Park Plaza a couple of times. Not a 5 star but a great hotel in the best location! Terrific views from the dining room and food is excellent. Free international phone calls from the lobby and free bicycle rentals. I love it there, hope you do too.