We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toulon, France
Level Contributor
344 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Food

Can anyone tell me if there are any specific local dishes that contain lentils? I cant eat them so abit concerned they might be hidden in some of the dishes s i realise there is alot of vegetrian meals.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,570 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food

Lentils will usually be visible a.d are not overly present.

The best bet is to ask. In Hebrew they are called "adashim" the a in both cases is pronounced ah

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food

I can't think of any dish where lentils might be sneaked in without being obvious. It's not as if there's such a thing as lentil oil that could be used for frying, or lentil margarine, or lentil ice cream... ??!!

Toulon, France
Level Contributor
344 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food

Thank you, thats really helpful, i will right it down and take it with me.

You would be suprised how they can be cooked and made to mush to thicken dishes .

Thank you for your help

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food

*grin*

Shuffaluff, I wouldn't be so sure about not having lentils in Ice cream. Check out the recipe here:

fooddaycanada.ca/recipes/…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food

WisteriaBritrany, I suggest you ask also. I have to look at the ingredient list of every food I buy as I can't eat gluten - it is surprising what is in the ingredients of products - things that you really don't expect to find.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,981 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food

Heather, I see it's gluten free!! Have you tried it?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food

No. I saw a program on television recently where some guy was making ice cream out of all kinds of unusual ingredients and I just decided to look in google to see if he happened to have used lentils in any. I didn't find his site but that one came up. I though I you might find it amusing. ;)

Surprisingly, most lentils sold here don't meet the stringent Australian requirements for being pronounced gluten free. Whilst lentils in themselves do not contain gluten, most of them here have been processed on equipment that has been used for wheat so they are not supposed to be suitable for coeliacs. I found a brand recently that is ok.... so maybe one day I'll try that recipe out. :)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food

Lentil soup is very popular - called "marak adashim".

Also popular is a lentil and rice mixture called "majadara".

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,981 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food

I remember asking a waiter (years ago) what soup-of-the-day was that day, and he said "adashot". That means lenses, as in contact lenses! (Of course there is a semantic connection, but it was rather funny.)

10. Re: Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:19