We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

Hi all

I wish to travel from Ben Gurion to Bethlehem (Angel Hotel) - what is the best way to get there (we are a party of 3) that is comfortable and economical?

Also, whilst in Bethlehem we wish to visit some Banksy art work (without the need to go on a tour that encompasses other sites/things) - any recommendations please.

We are in Bethlehem for only 2 days is it feasible to visit the Dead sea.

Any feedback will be appreciated

Patch

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

Unless you arrange private transport from the airport to Bethlehem in advance (which will mean ordering a car or taxi that can enter the Palestinian Authority, which Israeli-registered vehicles are not permitted to do), you can take a taxi or the Nesher shuttle to Jerusalem and ask to be dropped near the Damascus Gate, from where you can take a taxi to Bethlehem.

From Bethlehem to the Dead Sea involves going via Jerusalem. Again, there is no direct transport, and the same applies, with Israeli vehicles unable to enter Bethlehem, whereas the Dead Sea beaches are under full Israeli control. Are you planning to visit Jerusalem at all (apart from changing from one means of transport to another)?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

Thanks Shuffaluff , the Nesher sounds a good option - I presume when I exit the arrival area its clearly marked where to go to get a Nesher ?

We only have 2 days in Bethlehem so we will only be spending a limited time (possibly half a day) in Jerusalem.

Is there a tour that goes to the Dead sea from Bethlehem ?

Cheers

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

When you exit the terminal turn right - you will see clearly marked transport to Jerusalem. They are 10 seater vans, they leave when they are full - no problem finding it.

No, there are no tours to the Dead Sea from Bethlehem. You can find tours like this from Jerusalem.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

Yes, from the arrivals hall you follow the signs to taxis. You will see the yellow-and-white Nesher minibuses right there. They go when they are full and they fill up quickly.

For logistical/political reasons explained above, I think it's extremely unlikely there would be tours from Bethlehem to the Dead Sea. I may be wrong, though. Even though it looks near on the map, due east, there is no road that goes directly from Bethlehem to the Dead Sea.

It's your trip, obviously, but is there any particular reason why you're spending two days in Bethlehem and only "possibly" half a day in Jerusalem, when Jerusalem has ten times as much to see as Bethlehem?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

Hi Shuffaluff - re location. I think in hindsight I made error in judgement. I had one main thing on my mind and that was to visit the church of the nativity but not on a tour (I want to go when its least busy), I also wanted to go on a "Banksy tour" so I thought Bethlehem was a better base

Cheers again

Patch

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

There are people on the West Bank Forum who know where exactly the Banksy pictures are. Some of the taxi drivers specialize in taking people around to see them but otherwise, they really aren't a draw and the 4 or 5 remaining works aren't located walking distance from each other. Best to get a recommendation on the West Bank forum for a taxi.

For your short visit, it would be better to base yourself out of Jerusalem, then spend a half day in Bethlehem visiting the Church of the Nativity and doing the Banksy tour. From Jerusalem there are buses regularly to the Dead Sea beaches (Mineral Beach is a good option with some good services), or tours that would take you to Masada and the Dead Sea. Check out this one http://abrahamtours.com/theme/masada-tours/

England, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

If you specifically want to see Banksy’s work then as has been mention it is rather spread out – you may want to start here -

www.muradtours.com/Pages/BanksyTour.aspx

Murad Tours also do an excellent day tour (link on the above site) from Bethlehem to the Dead Sea incorporating Jericho.

To experience the Basilica of the Nativity try to visit early in the morning or shortly before it closes (before/after the invasion of tourist buses from Jerusalem).

From Damascus Gate take the 21 Bus to Beit Jala, its last stop is very close to your hotel! Note the last bus is at about 6.30pm in winter.

You will enjoy the Angle Hotel. Have a great trip, enjoy Bethlehem – there is lots to see!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,286 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

As Thackery mentioned there are tours to the Dead Sea from outside of Jerusalem where there is access to road 1 to the Dead Sea (not the most direct route, but doable). While I agree that basing yourself in Jerusalem is more convenient, Bethlehem is also a good option. Visiting the church as it opens is the best time to visit, but no later than 9 a.m. when tourist buses being to arrive and the crowds they bring.

Chana

Israel

9. Re: From airport to Bethlehem; and tour/s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:17