We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

I have 3 days in Israel and is having problem deciding whether I should stay in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. I will be arriving from SDV airport 02/19/14 at 3:00 pm and leave from TLV on 02/22/14 @ 11:20 am.

02/19/14 (Wed) Have Sheraton points and can stay in TLV for 3 nights

02/20/14 (Thur) day trip to Jerusalem & return

02/21/14 (Fri) 1 day in Tel Aviv

02/22/14 (Sat) back US

I am more leaning more staying in Tel Aviv so we don't have to move around between hotel.

Questions: 1. How easy to take public transportation from SDV to Sheraton in Tel Aviv ?

2. How easy to take public transportation from SDV to Jerusalem ?

2. Best way to get from Sheraton Hotel in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem & back

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,620 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

Definately stay in Jerusalem. While Tel Aviv can be interesting if you have only 3 days in Israel, Jerusalem is the city to stay in. Staying in Tel Aviv and riding up and back to Jerusalem is a waste of your precious time and money. A one day trip to Jerusalem barely gives justice to the city and with all the traveling you will have very few hours of daylight to see the sites of the Old City.

Should you opt to stay in Tel Aviv in any case, you can take a taxi to the bus station and a bus to Jerusalem. The Sde Dov airport is not too far from the Sheraton and can easily be reached by a short taxi ride.

Chana

Israel

Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

Thank you Chana, come to think about it, I only have 3 nights & 2.5 days in Israel. If I stay in Jerusalem then what is a good to leave to get to TLV for my 11:20 am flight >

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

You need to be at the airport by 8:20AM for a 11:20 flight, ( yes, 3 hours!) The best way to get from Jerusalem toTLV is by Nesher sherut ( shared taxi) For 68NIS they will transport you and your luggage directly to the airport. THe vehicle holds 10 people and you may be the first pick-up or you may be the last. They will tell you what time they will get you. If you opt for private taxi, you would have to be on the road at about 7:35 AM.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

It could be done. I just got back from a trip to Israel, Dec. 26 - Dec. 29, 2013. I will just give you how I spent it to give you an idea.

Dec. 26 - left the States

Dec. 27 - arrived TLV @ noon. checked in at an apartment @ Dizengoff St. @2:30pm. Walked to the beach @3:30pm, took a cab to Old Jaffa, went around and had dinner. Late evening went bar hopping just around Dizengoff St.

Dec. 28 - 10am took bus to Central Bus Station and took the Sherut (shared taxi) to Jerusalem. checked in at a hotel @12:30pm close to Damascus gate. By 2:30pm took the bus close to Damascus gate to Bethlehem, and from there hired a cab to Manger Square. After 3 hours on my way back to my hotel in Jerusalem.Went back to the Old City and visited the Western Wall.

Dec. 29 - 9am took the bus near Damascus gate to Mount of Olives. Stayed there for half an hour, walked my way down, visited Church of Mary Magdalene, a Catholic Church with nice view, and finally at the foot of the mountain, the Garden of Gethsemane. From there I took a cab to Mount Zion. Visited Tomb of David, Last Supper room and Church of Dormition. From there walked to Jaffa Gate, then to Via Dolorosa and traced all the Stations of the Cross. Finally visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and the important chapels: Calvary, Stone of Unction, Tomb of Christ. Then haggle outside for souvenirs. Still enough time, then walked to the hotel to be picked up by the sherut that will bring me to the airport. 7:30pm picked up and at 8:30 arrived at Ben Gurion for the 11:20pm flight. I'm guessing you're flying US Airways too.

Hope this helps.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,620 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

As mentioned a sherut is the least expensive. When you call them for pick up (at least one day in advance). Tell them the hour of your flight and they will tell you what time the pick up will be so you can be at the airport at least three hours prior to departure (this is a must).

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

From Sde Dov to Jerusalem: don't go to the Tel Aviv central bus station. There is a terminal in north Tel Aviv that's only a short taxi ride from Sde Dov, and buses (route 480) leave from there for Jerusalem every 10-15 minutes. Not only is it much nearer to the airport than the Tel Aviv central bus station, it's a much more pleasant and convenient place to take a bus from.

Tell the taxi driver that you want the Arlosoroff bus terminal. There are two bus terminals there, and you want the Egged terminal, the one with the big dark-green buses. The platform for Jerusalem is clearly marked.

From Jerusalem to the airport, as already said, you need to reserve Nesher the day before. Your hotel can do this for you, and you will be picked up at your hotel. I see you are flying back on Saturday, so it should be booked on Friday morning. (The minibuses run 24/7, but the office is closed on Friday afternoons and Saturdays.)

If you do decide to stay in Tel Aviv, note that there is no comparable service from Tel Aviv to the airport. On a Saturday morning your only option is a taxi.

East Brunswick, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

Looking at your time of arrival and departure, you really only have two full days. Being winter it gets dark there around 5.30. If you've never been to Jerusalem, you should definitely go for the day, and spend it in the Old City. There are frequent buses that leave from two different bus stations in Tel Aviv. The ride is about 45 minutes, depending on traffic. Take a cab to the Jaffa Gate, and walk around the Old City for the day. There are a myriad of things to do there, which are all better seen and understood with a private guide.

On Friday in Tel Aviv, there is a great handicraft market open from 9-2 called Nahalat Binyamin, right next to the buzzing Carmel Food and Vegetable market. Try go there...it's great for browsing and buying authentic products. Also worthwhile is the Tel Aviv Port, which is abuzz, esp on a Fri night. Make a reservation for dinner for Friday night as good restaurants fill up quickly in Tel Aviv.

Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

I am more leaning spending Thursday in Jerusalem and Friday in Tel Aviv. We can leave real early in the morning and spend a entire day just wondering around Jerusalem. Since Friday is Sabbath, I will just spend my day in Tel Aviv as there may be more options for us. I don't have to deal with the traffic.

Shuffaluff thank you for the tip on taking the bus from north Tel Aviv route #480 to Jerusalem.

Jayo26...I like the idea of taking the bus/taxi to Mount Olive and I understand the view is great up there. Don't know whether we have time for Bethlehem. Maybe would have to save it for next time.

I got a good deal on air fare from United from LAX to TLV. Thanks everyone for their input

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

Please make sure you go up Mount of Olives, sweeping views of the Old city! Don't miss this! Bus 75 from bus depot across Damascus gate. Tell driver to 7 arches hotel.

Bethlehem is just 6 miles of Jerusalem, don't miss this as well.

good luck ;-)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem only for 3 days

With only 2.5 days in Israel and considering you want to take in both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, you need to decide on your focus. If you want to focus on Christian religious sites, then the Mount of Olives and its churches and Bethlehem could be one option. The Old City of Jerusalem will really take a full day if you plan to see the sites in the different quarters. If you want to see and experience sites and culture of different religions and get a cultural feel of Israel then focus on the Old City of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

Thursday is a good day to spend in Jerusalem. Tel Aviv has free walking tours of the White City on Shabbat. visit-tel-aviv.com/….UsuO_pV3vmI