We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

As we are travelling with a baby we had to rent an apartment rather than a hotel room. I was really hoping to sample the hotel breakfasts that I've read about. Do you know whether we can do this if we aren't staying at the hotel?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Yes, but you'll pay rather a lot of money for this. The King David is about $35 per person but is excellent if you can eat all the food. It serves breakfast until 10:30 so you could eat leisurely and enjoy the experience.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Yes, almost all hotels will allow anyone to pay for breakfast - just keep in mind that it is not an inexpensive pleasure. I don't know what most hotels charge -but I do know that the price in many of the 5 star hotels will be around 100 NIS per person.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Yes, you absolutely can. The going price seems to be about 100NIS per person. Here is a Groupon for half price at the Montefiore Hotel (not the best breakfast in town but a good price at the discount) http://tinyurl.com/q4ahbpf

Frankly, there are tons of great restaurants that serve full Israeli breakfasts at a much lower price than hotels. I would go that route over the hotel route. Find a favourite coffee shop and become a 'regular'. After the second or third day, you will practically be family, especially if you come in with a baby :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

If you want an experience similar to the Israeli hotel breakfasts then I suggest that if you are in Jerusalem on a Friday you go to Cafe Rimon in Mamilla - they have a breakfast buffet on Fridays (I think from 9-12) - the price is approx. 55 NIS. You will have a similar experience for a lot less money.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Oreets has reminded me of many happy mornings sitting at Café Rimon enjoying breakfast. Great views and really good food. I second her suggestion. I do think they are open for breakfast everyday, you can just order an Israeli breakfast which is far too much food anyway, and not do the buffet.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Indeed, most Israeli cafes offer fantastic breakfasts for somewhere between 40-60 shekels (depending on what is included, the cafe etc). Usually you'd get a hot drink and a cold drink, some kind of eggs, and a plate with cheeses, salads, olives…. It's true that the best hotel breakfasts are really in their own world of buffet extravaganza, but it's not something you'd want every day unless it's included. Worth doing once and worth doing somewhere really good. I second the King David hotel in Jerusalem for sheer decadence of location, service and food. Fond memories of a TA meetup there a few years ago :) (Maybe time for another one???)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,118 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Yes, I remember the breakfast at the King David. I also seem to think it was more than $35. ( The gasp I uttered was a more than $35 gasp) I"ll see what I can find out--out of curiosity. I know someone whose daughter works there!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

If you're going to splurge I suggest you go to the David Citadel - as wonderful as the breakfast at the King David is - and it is wonderful - the Citadel beats it hands down.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,118 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

Okay Oreet--how much is the Citadel? --and it is important for people to remember, if you are NOT a hotel guest the price they quote is usually BEFORE the VAT is added.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I eat breakfast at hotel I'm not staying at?

I recently heard from a fellow guide that the Citadel was charging 140 NIS, but this is not first hand information - and this price may already include the VAT - but as noted, if you are not a registered guest at the hotel you will be charged VAT, even if you are a tourist.