We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Italy
2 posts
Save Topic
Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

Hi, hope someone can help me.

I was wondering if it is possible to withdraw USD at Tel Aviv Ben Gurion Airport with my € ATM card.

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

I'm pretty sure you can, at least at some of the ATM's -but why would you want to withdraw dollars, when the currency in Israel is Israeli Shekels.

NJ
Level Contributor
552 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

Yes you can. On my last trip to Israel I needed to have some USD with me and didn't remember to take out any until I was about the board the plane at JFK. I ran to the ATM and took out some money. Then at my stopover in Paris the ATMs offered both Euros and USD and then when we landed at TLV they offered NIS, Euros, and USD so I would have been fine waiting. Note this is only at the airport in Israel. Regular ATMs in Israel only have NIS.

Also keep in mind that some international ATMs that offer USD or Euros do a conversion from the local currency so depending on your banks fees you can get hit hard. The ATM will convert the foreign currency to USD (including a commission fee) and then you're bank will charge you a commission fee also. If you use a ATM card that charges no foreign conversion fee (such as the Schwab checking account) then you won't be charged any fee and Schwab will even reimburse any fees that the ATM charges you as well.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,091 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

Throughout Israel in the major cities you will find "some" ( not all) ATMS that offer dollars and some that offer Euros. Don't ignore the warnings by Amm101. Even if you are withdrawing the same currency as the account is in, there WILL be a fee and or commission!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

<< Regular ATMs in Israel only have NIS. >>

Not true. Some ATMs in the cities offer dollars, but not all.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

Without even trying, I can think of two ATMs in Jerusalem that offer dollars, and there must be plenty more. Bank Leumi at Zion Square (corner of Jaffa Road and Ben-Yehuda Street), and Bank Leumi at 208 Jaffa Road, at Haturim light rail station.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

It may be more cost effective to get the USD in Italy (or wherever you're coming from).

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

I have seen ATM's that dispense $, € and shekels along the corridors from the duty-free shops to the departure gates. There are at least 5 bank ATM's here in back-water Petah Tikva that dispense $ and € at mid-market rates (if a conversion is involved like taking $ ffrom a € acct) with no local fees. Avoid the Poalim Bank ATM's. The withdrawal limits imposed by the bank are usually very low.

I have withdrawn $ from a foreign $ account and never been charged a local fee here in Israel at a bank ATM. It's possible that the multi-currency ATM/s at the airport are not bank-owned and charge a fee.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,091 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

"I have withdrawn $ from a foreign $ account and never been charged a local fee here in Israel at a bank ATM. "

I do not know whether it is fees, conversions or what. However, regardless of title, if you withdraw $400 it is going to cost more than that.-even if it is from a $$ account.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

Many ATMs have $, shekels and Euros, not all. I live in Tel Aviv and I know at least 3 that do and are a block or two to where I live.

10. Re: Ben Gurion Airport: ATM and USD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:18