We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv Trip Report

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Tel Aviv Trip Report

If you forget to set your alarm at night then you can expect to oversleep a little in the morning. But if you oversleep on holiday on a day that you are due to return a rental car then the result is that you miss breakfast in the hotel because you have to meet the car return deadline. But in Tel Aviv that isn't necessarily a bad thing. After returning our rental car we simply went onto the beachfront and bought a delicious Israel breakfast looking at the Mediterranean Sea, with the distinctive outline of Jaffa along the coastline! What more could anyone ask for. :) It was so good we lingered for a second cup of coffee. :) The promenade was alive with people and there was even a string ensemble in one place, entertaining passers-by with classical music.

Eventually we decided we needed to do something more constructive with our day so we walked up to Hayarkon Street and caught a taxi to Beit Hatsufsot (the Museum of the Diaspora). For anyone visiting Israel there is no use getting into a taxi and asking them to take you to the Museum of the Diaspora. We have mentioned this place to people who were fluent in English and they haven't known what we were talking about. The moment I say "Beit Hatfutsot" they recognise it despite my poor pronunciation.

I had planned a visit to two museums today, but Beit Hatfutsot was so interesting that we stayed there much longer than planned, taking heaps of photos. I loved the replicas of Synagogues from around the world and the depictions of daily life in different parts of the world - all so similar in some ways, but with distinct cultural and artistic flavours from different countries.

Finally we both felt we had reached "information overload" and were happy to exit and find the coffee shop. Yay! They cater for coeliacs and had gluten-free options. We were also intrigued to be served by Minnie Mouse (or was it a relative of Minnie? - the ears had spots), a wizard walked by, and a werewolf came and drank coffee near us. It was a good reminder that it was Purim and we have since seen plenty of other people dressed up for the occasion. :)

We decided we had run too short of time to go anywhere else so it was a good opportunity to return to our hotel and catch up on mundane things like washing clothes.

Thinking about our trip so far I realise we have a problem. We are only getting through about half the things on my list for each day. Does this mean we have to save up for another trip to Israel one day?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

If you find yourself in Jaffa again, try lunch at a lovely little place called Pu'ah (named after one of the Hebrew midwives in Exodus, I believe), at 8 Rabbi Yohanan Street. Really nice café, and you'd enjoy it.

Thanks again for sharing!

Douglas Duckett

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Heather, the Jaffa flea market is an interesting place. It is not just the narrow alleys with the junk or the stalls on the streets but tucked back along the roads are all these second hand shops which have tons of interesting things, many from British Mandate times. In addition to beautiful furniture, we have seen street signs, ledgers, daily use items, political paraphenalia as well as true antique Judaica (such as Hanukiot). If you have the time to poke around the shops, there are really interesting treasures. The alleys themselves hold no interest to me but these second hand shops are fascinating. Next time you go, check it out.

I believe the hop-on-hop off bus only runs every one or two hours at this time of year. It isn't a true hop-on-hop-off, mainly just a hop on and stay for the 2 hour tour. If your timing isn't right on, you could land up waiting hours. Too bad you missed it. Keep the posts coming, I, too, love following your journey.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Thanks. We did look at some but gave up after a little while... Mainly because my back and leg were playing up badly (sciatica) and I had a problem with the walking stick I had brought with me. We decided just to head off to a recommended shop to fix my stick in the end (and take strong painkillers for my back). Unfortunately my back is really slowing me down - I am just having to adjust my plans as I go. The object is just to enjoy as much as we can and find coffee shops with good views when I have to stop. :)

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

This morning I had a chuckle as I got ready for the day. The shower was one over the bath, and the screen leaked a bit of water onto the floor. Being the clumsiest of people I slipped... But the bathroom was so tiny that I only had room to slip all of three inches and there was no way I could have fallen over in the tiny space between the bath and the sink. I had discovered a wonderful asset to having a tiny en suite! (More later....)

We set ourselves an easy target today - shopping! Well, to be more accurate, the aim was to wander around enjoying ourselves at the Nachalat Binyamin market and the Carmel Market - and we achieved our aim. I found good bargains - Dead Sea hand cream, aloe Vera cream (which is expensive in Australia and so wonderfully cheap here), and cream to get rid of all those smile lines..... I mean wrinkles. ;)

And yes.,, I am a sucker for any anything connected with music. I found a cute, hand made ocarina I couldn't resist.

We enjoyed another short walk along the promenade and had a very early dinner before picking up our luggage and heading to the airport where we eventually met up with the group we will be touring with for just over a week. I say eventually... their plane was on time, but as often happens, there were a few people whose luggage didn't arrive with them.

So we are finally in our tour-booked hotel (in Jericho) and enjoying the luxury of a really big room, and an en suite that is almost big enough to fit a double bed in! I haven't worked out why rooms should be so much bigger here than in a comparably priced room in Jerusalem, but it is rather nice. I am now wondering how far I will slip tomorrow morning.... Maybe it will be like skiing?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

I love your humor -- and am VERY glad you didn't slip badly enough to further aggravate your back. Have a great time with your tour group, and continue to enjoy your luxuriously long vacation!

Douglas Duckett

16. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:20