We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (summary): March 2014

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (summary): March 2014

Here are the highlights from my week in Tel Aviv in mid-March (Purim week).

Tips and Tricks:

* Either buy a local prepaid cell phone or add global services to your regular cell phone

* Add global data to your cell phone. WIFI is great but not available when you're walking around.

* Bring several converters if you want to recharge multiple devices at night (phone, camera, laptop, etc.)

* Pack light if you plan to take trains and buses. No way to avoid lifting and carrying luggage unless you stick to taxis.

* For first time visitors, pick a tourist hotel. It may cost more but will offer the help in finding tours and activities that you won't get from a business or boutique hotel.

* Get shekels from bank ATM in airport so you can pay taxi in shekels and have shekels for tips

* Don't assume taxi drivers speak English. Write down destination name and address and hand paper to them.

* Taxi drivers will offer a flat rate or meter. Ask for the meter. It's was always cheaper or within 1-2 shekels of the flat rate.

* Don't rely on Google maps app for walking directions!

* Carry a cheat sheet of shekels to dollars conversion ( 1 NIS, 10 NIS, 20 NIS, 50 NIS, 100 NIS, 200 NIS). Helps for quick decisions.

Don't Miss:

* Free tour offered in Old Jaffa

* Walk along beachfront promenade between Jaffa and Tel Aviv

* Sunset on the beach

* Carmel Market

* Ninhalat Binyamin art market (near Carmel Market, on Fridays only)

* Walk along the promenade on Rothschild Street - feels safe at any hour and is lively with locals walking their dogs and cafes.

Skip:

* If not a (mall) shopper, skip the Tel Aviv Pier and Hashalom.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

Really good points.

Just to point out that Nahalat Binyamin Craft Market takes place twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Also the Namal (I think this is what you are referring to when you speak of the Tel Aviv Pier) may have been quiet due to the rain and the season. There are often tons of activities going on here, especially in the summer months and it is great for being in a hub of activity.

Looking forward to your next installment.....

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,666 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

Thanks for sharing your tips - very helpful.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

Hi sgold,

* Don't assume taxi drivers speak English. Write down destination name and address and hand paper to them.

Just wanted to say, just got an app called google translate. You can speak, write, or type in a word or phrase and have it translated. I think it could be a useful tool for cabs, restaurants or were ever. You could have what your trying to communicate translated, and then hold your phone up.

Also found an app, google goggles, supposed to be able to take a pic of a sign, menu or whatever and have it translated. Haven't tried it yet, but this may be useful as well when traveling abroad.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 09:43
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

What do you mean by Tel Aviv pier ? If it is the Namal (port) then it is worth a visit , not necessarily for shopping

I guess that Hashalom refers to the mall next to Hashalom railway station- the name is Azrieli Mall (and I agree that one can skip it)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

You don't need multiple converters. Bring one converter and a short extension cord with multiple outlets. Attach the extension cord to the converter and all your gadgets to the other end.

…homedepot.com/p/…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,345 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

If you follow mbgg's suggestion make sure you get a converter that is appropriately rated for multiple items. HOWEVER, I do not think you need converters. By and large today's phones, cameras, laptops and netbooks all have 110-240 input. What you do need is multiple plug ADAPTORS if you need to charge them all at the same time.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

Very true rdglady, checked all my stuff out and it is 110-240 input. Also purchased this plug a couple weeks ago threw Amazon.

OREI Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Plug Adapter Type H for Israel & more - High Quality - CE Certified - RoHS Compliant WP-H-GN.

Being able to plug 2 items in at once I think will be good enough. I also have a cord for charging the phones in the outlets in the car. I'm assuming these outlets in the car are the same around the world.

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

Just wanted to add to the app discussion: XE has a great currency conversion app. Even if you're out and about and don't want to use data, it will still work. Refresh the app every night in your hotel room so you have the latest rates.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

The 2/1 adapter you used is grounded; did most plugs in the hotels take the grounded version? We will be at Inbal and Hilton Tel Aviv............and want to make sure it would plug in before I buy

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report (summary): March 2014

The 2/1 adapter you used is grounded; did most plugs in the hotels take the grounded version? We will be at Inbal and Hilton Tel Aviv............and want to make sure it would plug in before I buy