We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Visiting Tel Aviv and Carmel Market (Shuk Ha'Carmel) from a cruise ship....can you tell me is it best to get Shekels or would I be ok with Euro's

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Shekels are the currency of Israel. Euros are no more use in Israel than they are in Wales! Use an ATM when you arrive.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

The market vendors usually take Euro's. You will most likely not have the opportunity to withdraw shekels on your short shore excursion to Tel Aviv. The Nahalat Benyamin market definitely takes Euros, this I know from experience.

Chana

Israel

England, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

#1 Howell's in St Mary's Street, Cardiff take Euros.

Am I 'splitting hairs'? LOL

Edited: 22 April 2014, 14:20
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Carmel market and Euros? No way. As a frequent buyer there I see many tourists walking and buying but use shekels. Take shekels from n ATM machine or change money in the market itself. There is a change shop across from the parking lot.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Use shekels, there are a number of cashpoints near Nachlat binyamin on Allenby.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

Thank you all for your replies....I will get some Shekels in small denominations to take with me and if I need more I will use the ATM as you've suggested....thank you all again xx

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

One more thing....are there set prices in the markets or do you have to haggle ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

The prices are set and are very inexpensive compared to G.B. All prices are per kilo and not per piece as many foreign visitors mistakenly believe. I do not suggest purchasing shekels before your departure as you will get a horrific rate of exchange.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

Haggling is only in bazaars selling souvenirs, like Jerusalem's Old City - and believe me, you won't get any stupendous bargains there. Everywhere else you pay the marked price. This includes the Carmel Market, which sells mostly fruits and vegetables, as well as cheap clothing imported from the Far East (I hope you haven't got your hopes up too high about this market!). Fruits and veg are priced by the kilogram, and you can pick out the apples, or whatever, yourself, which the salesman will weigh for you and charge you accordingly.

I don't know whether you can get small-denomination shekels, particularly in a provincial town, in the UK. If you can (even large-denomination notes), the rate will be awful.

Edited to say posted simultaneously with Chana, saying the same thing!

Edited: 22 April 2014, 17:39
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

The only place you will get a decent exchange rate in UK is by looking on Martin Lewis's website and using his travel money maximiser.

It is a very good comparison tool.

The website is moneysavingexpert.com

Edited: 22 April 2014, 17:42