We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Shalom, looking for advice on taking bus or train for a day trip to Jerusalem.

We are staying at intersection of Gordon and Dizengoff.

Any idea of costs of said bus train journey?

we are thinking about going on a Sunday,is that a good day for this trip?

Many thanks.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Any day - except Friday or Saturday - is good (but note that tomorrow is the eve of Memorial Day). The train is very scenic but very slow and ends up far from everything in Jerusalem, So if you are only going for one day and you want to maximize your time - take the bus. Take any bus on Dizengoff that goes to the Arlozorov bus terminal (e.g #61) and then take the 480 to Jerusalem, It leaves every 15-20 minutes throughout the day.

I hope that you will not be spending only one day in Jerusalem.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

According to the site http://www.bus.co.il the cost of bus ride is 19 Shekels and I would not waste time in the train. Sunday is usually a regular working day. This Sunday late afternoons will Memorial day ceremonies start, thus I would leave Jerusalem around 17:00-18:00

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Get the bus pal, frequent, reliable and less than a fiver.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Many thanks,perhaps Sunday is not so good if we have to leave a little earlier?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Sunday is a regular working day in Israel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,932 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Memorial Day is not a holiday on which public transport doesn't run. Buses run normally on that day.

At 8 p.m. tomorrow (Sunday) evening there will be a siren for two minutes' silence. If you are on the bus at that time, it will stop, along with every other vehicle on the road, and everyone will stand silently to honour the memory of our fallen soldiers.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,770 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Many shops will close early tomorrow site to Memorial Day but you can still enjoy the city as I suppose you are not going there for the shopping (BTW this goes for the entire country and not just Jerusalem). I think restaurants are also closed on Memorial Day evening 4 May so be sure to have something arranged in advance for dinner.

Memorial Day, Monday in a regular working day but in the evening is Independence Day when places close early but transportation continues and will be be crowded. Tuesday is Independence Day worth everyone on holiday. So if you decide to postpone your visit do so to Wednesday.

But why only a one day visit?

Chana

Israel

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Thank you,sorry,i meant next Sunday,we arrive in Tel Aviv tomorow evening.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,932 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

Next Sunday, May 11, is a normal working day. In Israel the weekend is Friday and Saturday, and Sunday is the first day of the working week. Everything will be open, and buses from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv will run (every 15-20 minutes) until almost midnight.

10. Re: Day trip to Jerusalem-bus or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:17