We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hazards in Tel Aviv

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Hazards in Tel Aviv

Hi, I am scheduled to come to Tel Aviv on a business trip on June. I asked my wife to join me, but to be honest, she is a little afraid. Would it be safe enough for her to tour the city alone while I'm working? Thanks in advance

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

Afraid of what ??

Here is a video filmed in the center of Tel-Aviv on a typical Friday afternoon :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK5_roqwT-A

And this one was filmed on the beach promenade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVQ7GMEXDOA

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,760 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

Thousands of people, including women, tour Israel alone. It's very safe and there's nothing whatever to worry about. Search the forum and you'll find plenty of posts from people who were afraid to visit Israel, they were reassured that Israel is safer than where they live, and within an hour of arriving they realize their fears were totally misplaced.

One "hazard" that your wife would probably wish to avoid is sunbathing alone on the beach. A woman alone will attract a lot of attention from men. It isn't dangerous, but the pestering can get extremely annoying. If she wants to sunbathe she should park herself next to a family rather than where she's obviously on her own. Beyond that, the biggest hazard (for anyone) is traffic.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

I would tell her to pack a hat and lots of sunscreen, and she will be fine. The only hazards in Tel Aviv are the crazy drivers and the jellyfish in the ocean :)

Tel Aviv is a modern, high energy, cosmopilitan city with lots to see and experience. I often go for walks on my own and jog along the beach and I feel comfortable. It is a great base and if you are in a conference she can easily take a day trip to Jerusalem or to Akko or Haifa.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

Mark, you wife will feel safer there than in Dublin! :)

There is plenty for her to see. Public transport is frequent. Taxis are cheap. So many people speak at least a little English so she won't have any difficulty being understood. She will have a wonderful time. :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

One more hazard that no one has mentioned is the food - hotel breakfast are generous, lavish buffets, while there is also lots of delicious food to choose from for other meals - this may prove extremely hazardous to her diet:)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

Perhaps this chilled article will tempt her:

mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/usa-long-haul/…

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

And I forgot to mention that she has a real danger of having IWS - a condition I am suffering from since returning home from our 7 week visit to Israel just two weeks ago. IWS = Israel Withdrawal Symptoms

It has been helped just a little by my finding a delicatessen near to my home where they sell delicious, mouthwatering halva - similar to the halva I discovered in Israel on this last trip.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

Dangers in Tel Aviv? Forget about that entirely. Your wife is far safer walking the streets of the 'capital of Mediterranean cool' than she is walking the streets of her own home city back home.

Relax. Chill out. And enjoy all Tel Aviv has to offer :-)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

I was going to make the joke of overeating, but it's already taken, along with a number of others.

Safe, safe, safe. Come and enjoy!

Douglas Dukcett

T-minus 10 days until my own departure!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hazards in Tel Aviv

If she decides to visit I would love to read what she experienced. Hazards in Tel Aviv are overeating and spending too much money. And of course - getting the Israeli Bug just like Heather and Douglas and many more.