We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol & attitude towards it

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol & attitude towards it

We are travelling to Israel this Summer with 17 year old Son who may like a beer at the end of the day or a glass of wine with us with his meal. Not talking a lad on a pub crawl here, just something civilised in the presence of his parents.

What's the legal age to drink alcohol on licensed premises? Is the attitude towards this quite relaxed in Israel or strict? I'd hate to cause offence or for there to be an issue.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

It is against the law in Israel to serve or sell alcohol to minors (under the age of 18, so including your son). In principle it is against the law to sit at home and give your 17 year old son a beer, although obviously it can and does happen.

I can also tell you first hand that if you order wine or beer in a restaurant and pour some into a glass for your son no-one is going to do anything. But it is theoretically illegal. But it happens.

I hope it's all clear now.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

Almost a 0% chance any waiter at an Israeli bar/restaurant gives a damn about a high school looking kid drinking with middle-aged adults. Israel has a very liberal attitude towards alcohol (assuming you're not in the Muslim parts), so no need to worry about "causing offense" with anything alcohol-related in Israel.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

No offence will be taken, if it is within the family unit going out together you shall have no issues.

Israel thankfully does not have the same drinking culture as we have here ( Mediterranean culture rather than N. European ).

It is similar to the nice parts of Italy, Greece Cyprus in its attitude: civilised and non Brits abroad.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 12:03
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

Just for caution's sake I want to re-emphasize that this fairly liberal approach is only in the context hantsspur asked about - someone drinking in a restaurant with their family.

Israel is VERY strict about not selling alcohol to minors and VERY strict indeed about drink driving. Again I know this isn't relevant to the OP but just in case someone else picks this up I don't want us to give the wrong impression.

Israel has gone from a rather anti-alcohol sober culture to a drinking culture over the past two decades or so. I don't know any Israeli-born parent who does not report that their teenage / young adult children drink more than they did.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 12:14
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

PRSV, I agree with you, but to a point. Israel continues NOT to have any serious drinking culture. Most Israelis will stop after that first beer, if they even drink alcohol at all. No bar is going to make it in Israel if they don't serve some sort of food besides the alcohol.

When I made Aliya (more than 25 years ago - yikes!), an Israeli young person would drink one beer at the bar and then order a Coke or a milk shake... Those days are gone. Drinking does exist, but compared to Europe or North America, it's so very minor here.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,121 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

If you are at a restaurant your son can share the wine bottle or a beer. I never thought about it being a problem and my 13 old grandson shar6se my beer quite often. Never had a problem with it.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

Thank you all for your very informative responses.

8. Re: Alcohol & attitude towards it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:16