We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

I am planning a possible trip to Israel this fall, and something that has struck me as very odd (and quite inconvenient) is the number of flights from Europe arriving at god-awful hours of the night/early morning. The same for many departing flights. Is there a particular reason, security or otherwise, that this is the case? Or is there just a high demand for arrival/departure slots?

Thanks for your responses,

Matt

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

If you look at flights as a whole from western Europe they tend to leave departure city at either early morning arriving afternoon ( +2hours) or late night arriving early morning.

There is nothing to read into this.

I have departed in the last 5 years BRS - CDG - TLV at 10 am CDG; EXT CDG TLV at 4pm CDG; LHR TLV at 08:00; BRS-AMS- TLV AMS at 9pm and will soon depart LHR at 10:30pm and BRU at 08:50 respectively.

The jigsaw of slots has more to do with noise issues at all the airports not security or otherwise to ensure that the aircraft is not uneccessarily on the ground when it could be earning money.

LHR has no departures between I think 11pm and 05:00 so airlines like to depart late and spend curfew times in the air.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

It doesn't reflect anything except airport schedules.

For example, the TLV - LAX non stop usually leaves at 1 am or so to give an arrival in the early morning at LAX, after noise restrictions are lifted.

Other airports around the world have the same concerns and that affects arrival and departure times at TLV.

Whats unfortunate is that very early arrivals may have difficulty getting their hotel rooms or meeting up with tour groups.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

Thanks for your responses. That's what I suspected, that its just due to airport scheduling. Perhaps its also because a flight from, say, LHR-TLV is just short enough to be inconvenient as an overnight (being slightly over 4 hours its not enough to fly all night), but long enough that an afternoon departure would breach curfew restrictions. Most flights I have found either depart very early from LHR or arrive very early in TLV, both connecting flights and direct (although admittedly some are more convenient).

With that said, is spending the morning (ie 2:30am until trains start running) at the airport possible/at least reasonably comfortable? I have Star Alliance Gold status for lounges, but its my understanding that there are no landside airline lounges, correct?

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

Trains run all night at hourly intervals so you don't have to wait. Where do you need to go? Timetables are here:

http://rail.co.il/EN/Pages/Homepage.aspx

There are several cafes in the airport that you can access on the land side. However, if you're coming from the UK, I would recommend that you get as quickly as possible to wherever you're going and try to sleep, as 2:30am will only feel like 00:30 to you, but staying awake all night and the next day is a brutal start to your trip.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 16:31
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

<,With that said, is spending the morning (ie 2:30am until trains start running) at the airport possible/at least reasonably comfortable? >>

Yes. That's peak time for the airport, as you have now discovered. Everything will be open, you can get a cup of coffee or a meal if you want to, find a place to sit, sleep... the airport will be full of people doing just that.

Trains run hourly through the night (except on Friday nights - the night between Friday and Saturday, when there are no trains), so you wouldn't need to wait till 2:30 a.m. Where will you be heading? A new timetable starts on June 14, and the first train will leave the airport at 01:02, arriving Tel Aviv Central 01:14, Haifa 02:18 and Nahariya 02:46. Trains then run hourly until 05:14, when the normal morning timetable kicks in.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

It appears as if you are targeting a 2:30 AM arrival time.....

If it were me, the last thing I would do is stay in some airport lounge and wait until more things open up. As you have already seen, the trains run hourly (except the Sabbath) and you may want to get on the way to your destination.

Knowing your first stop may help. Most, if not all, hotels will hold your luggage for you until the room becomes available. Just drop the luggage and see the city wake up!

Where is your first stop?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

ELAL do an early afternoon flight that gets in around 9pm.

Otherwise as you note BA have only early as late flights.

Easyjet are now doing flights from LGW if that's an option

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,620 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

The flights may be seen as convenient from an Israelis point of view. With between 8-10 daily flights to London I am sure you can find something suitable to your liking. I would suggest an early morning flight so you have the better part of the day to tour.

Chana

Israel

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

I flew to and from LHR in the last week via British Airways. I was supposed to get in at 3:30pm (leaving LHR at 10:30) but my flight from Seattle was late and thus I missed that flight. Consequently, I took the flight that left LHR around 10:30pm and arrived at TLV at 5:30am. Leaving TLV, I left at 7:30am and then got into LHR around 11:00am.

Many of the flights to North America leave TLV late in the evening or early morning.

10. Re: Just curious: Early morning flight arrivals at TLV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:17