We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Stay

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
386 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Long Stay

My nephew is coming for studies at TAU for 6 months. Is it possible for him to arrange a PG accomodation or rent a furnished room in Tel Aviv? Some idea about the cost will also be very helpful.

Thanks

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Stay

What is a "PG" ?

there are a lot of furnished rooms for rent in Tel Aviv. Has he contacted his faculty at TAU to ask if they can help or recommend anything ?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
386 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Stay

Sorry - PG is used by me for 'paying guest'. TAU has given names of sites like airbnb that are more suitable to tourists rather than students on low budget.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Stay

Housing in Tel-Aviv is not cheap. Have you asked if it is possible to arrange something in the student dormitories ?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
386 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Stay

Not yet bit will ask tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Stay

As with my comment on your bank account thread, surely the university can offer advice, assistance, addresses of student dorms, etc.?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Stay

There are websites in Hebrew where rooms in apartments are listed (usually one student will rent the apartment and sublets rooms to other students). I looked at one site and the prices for rooms in the area of TAU range from about 1700 to 2500 NIS/month. The problem is that in most cases they are looking for someone to rent for the entire academic year, not 6 months. When is your nephew arriving ?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Stay

This is the most popular site for internationals to find "budget" temporary/sublet housing in TLV:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/secrettelaviv/

And it's really difficult to line anything up before he gets to Israel. First, there is a huge demand for TLV housing and things get taken quickly. Second, lots of listings are going to be less than trustworthy, so you should see a place in person. His best bet would be to find a place to stay temporarily when he arrives in TLV, and then look for a long term place once he gets to TLV.

Keep in mind it might be hard to find a furnished apartment for 6 months. TLV housing is insanely expensive, and the quality is much worse than you'll find in major cities in the US. What's your budget?

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Stay

Here's a thought ...

Why not take one of the airbnb apartments for the first month and then search for an apartment for the rest of his stay while he is here.

You can filter the apartment by price and search for an apartment in Herzlia which is north of Tel-Aviv and pretty close to TAU, I see that there are a few apartments that can be rent for under 3000NIS, once he will be here he will surely meet some Israelis that will love to help.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Stay

Oded:

The problem is that he wants to rent for six months only ; many owners do not want to rent short-term.

If he rents a room, the cost of transport going back and forth to Herzliya will probably be greater than the saving in rent compared to renting a room within walking distance from TAU.

Mentioned in this post
Herzliya
Herzliya
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
381 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Stay

Here's the email of a friend who has a large apartment and can rent a room (and bathroom) in a garden apartment that is on the bus route to TAU. It is out of mid-town and she would take a boarder and give him/her use of the kitchen etc. She has a little puppy and a cat, and she does not tolerate smoking inside.

If this is interesting for your nephew - you can contact me and I'll put you in touch. My friend is English speaking with fluent Hebrew and also French.