We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to israel sept 2014

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to israel sept 2014

I am hoping to travel to Israel in mid September. I wondered if anyone out there can help with a few questions.

1. What is the easiest method of public transport for getting from tel aviv to old city Jerusalem?

2. Is it worthwhile spending the whole day in Jerusalem and staying overnight?

3. If it is I was thinking of then travelling to the Dead Sea from Jerusalem. Is there any public transport from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea?

4. I noticed that Rosh Hashanah begins on the evening of 24th sept. Does tel aviv close down during this holiday?

Thank you!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

1. Bus, either 480 from the terminal next to Tel Aviv Savidor Merkaz (Central) railway station, or 405 from the Tel Aviv central bus station, both of which go every 10-15 minutes, to the Jerusalem central bus station. From there take the light rail (tram) in the direction of Heyl Ha'avir to either City Hall (closest stop to the Jaffa Gate) or Damascus Gate (self-explanatory).

2. Worth spending a day in Jerusalem? You could spend weeks in Jerusalem and not see everything.

3. There are several buses a day from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea. Timetables at www.egged.co.il/eng. Note that times are for the next seven days only, updated daily, and there are more buses in summer (July-August)than there will be in September so what you see now is not what you'll get in September.

4. Businesses such as banks and post offices will be closed. Kosher restaurants will be closed but there are plenty of non-kosher restaurants that will be open and very busy. Most tourist sites will be open. Public transport won't run, with the exception of some sherut (shared taxi) routes, and normal taxis. The holiday starts on the evening of September 24, and because it's followed immediately by Shabbat, it effectively ends at nightfall on the Saturday night - three consecutive days.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

<<Is it worthwhile spending the whole day in Jerusalem and staying overnight?>>

My goodness, not only is it worthwhile spending an entire day in Jerusalem, it's worthwhile to spend an entire week! Jerusalem is one of the most fascinating cities in the world. I'd spend at least 2-3 days there.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

<<<2. Is it worthwhile spending the whole day in Jerusalem and staying overnight?>>>

Please do yourself the biggest favour and get yourself a guide book to read up about Jerusalem. It is the most fascinating city in the world. In one day you see almost nothing, (I know... My first trip to Israel consisted of a one day tour from a ship, visiting Jerusalem and Bethlehem). Since then we have had two vacations a month long in Israel, and one vacation this year that was seven weeks long. On that last 7 week trip we spent three weeks in Jerusalem and we still haven't seen everything!

Start by looking at the "things to do" in Jerusalem here in Trip Advisor, then buy a guide book, then when you have made some priorities over what you want to see and how much time you want to allocate to Jerusalem then bring your itinerary here and people will help you work out what is achievable.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

Re <<1. What is the easiest method of public transport for getting from tel aviv to old city Jerusalem?>>. If you are planning to go directly from the international airport (marked as TLV but is half way between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem) to Jerusalem, take the 24/7 Nesher shared taxi from the airport to old Jerusalem gate.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

And I will confirm about Jerusalem. I spent about a week there in 2011 and plan on spending closer to ten days next April. I obviously didn't get enough in 2011 and highly doubt I will again next April.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,553 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

Yes, please clarify whether you mean from Tel Aviv the airport or Tel Aviv the city to Jerusalem by public transport. It's vastly different.

For Tel Aviv CITY to Jerusalem, it's as I explained above. From the AIRPORT - as Giora says, take the Nesher shuttle, which is 10-seater minibuses that go when they are full and they fill up quickly. Cost is 64 shekels per person including luggage. They take you to your accommodation, but if you're staying in the Old City where there is no vehicle access, they will drop you at the Jaffa Gate or Damascus Gate.

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

Thank you very much for your replies. I am really looking forward to the trip! And will definitely be getting myself a guide book about Jerusalem and it looks like I will be staying there more than one night.

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

Tel aviv city thanks so much for the info

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

Can you recommend any hotels to stay overnight at the Dead Sea?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,553 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to israel sept 2014

OK, public transport from Tel Aviv (the city) to Jerusalem is as I wrote in post 1.