We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

Hey, I'm thinking of doing a spontaneous trip to Jordan in a week's time - on my own. I'm comfortable with my own company as long as I'm safe. But since Jordan is an Arab country I am feeling a bit nervous. Also not sure where to stay. I want to do 2 or 3 days in Amman with day trips out of the city to Jerash, some castles, etc. Then 2 days in Petra and a day/night at a dead sea resort. With regards to hotels, I am keen to save some money, but have a fear of someone else's toe nail clippings in a cheap hotel bed. I'm 30, female,South African, living in Dubai. If anyone else (non-psycho) will be there on their own at that time, let me know. The bad thing about being on holiday on your own can be the evenings - is there some kind of evening activity you can recommend - e.g. in Beijing and Bangkok I went shopping at night. Wadi Rum - I'm giving this is a skip - I would have loved to see it and spend the night in the desert - but on my own - I don't know. Please advise. Thanks.

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

some of the issues you mentioned.

shopping at night will not happened, Jordanians will go to sleep as soon as they can.

being on your own is not that big of a deal but it would be nice to have someone with you.

checkout the Toledo hotel in Amman, nice and inexpensive.

take care

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

My partner and I based our entire trip on information from www.jordanjubilee.com

This is written by a solo female traveler who has been going to Jordan for many years.

All information was 100% correct and enabled us to stay in local hotels with like minded travelers.

This not only helped considerably with the budget, but we also had interesting, like minded company in the evenings.

The joy of independent travel is that you are free to come and go when you like and constantly ammend your itinerary as you go along. If you are traveling solo, you will have even more flexibility.

Your proposed itinerary is similar to what ours was and will work well. My only extra advice would be to look at staying in Madaba instead of Amman. It is central to Mount Nebo, Jerash, Dead Sea etc and it has a less city type feel and more of a local feel (which is one of the main things that we enjoy when we go to foreign countries).

Washington DC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

As far as your safety is concerned you have nothing to fear traveling alone as a girl in Jordan, take the normal obvious precautions as you would anywhere else. Jordan is very safe and open....nevertheless you will experience some harmless stares from time to time, and my advice to female friends who travel alone to Jordan, Morocco, Egypt is to wear a ring on your wedding finger...may sound funny and simple but am told it actually helps against unwanted attention...

If you get lucky and connect with a few travelers you may still get to go to Wadi Rum...its one of my favourite places..so dont count it out completely..

Try to stay at one of the dead sea hotels that have a good spa, after all the trekking and sight seeing you will feel like a treatment, the Movenpick, Marriott and Kempinski all have good spas, the Kempinski being by far the best but most expensive hotel

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,448 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

trainaholic,these days in Jordan they have Mega shopping centres two that i visited Mecca Mall and another one not far they stay open late every night

hundreds of retail and food stalls ,atm ,every thing and anything you need to buy.If you were talking about souvenier shops that is another story ,as you mentioned they only open day time.

syriafullbottle from damascushostel.

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

Mecca Mall and other big shopping centers are crazy expensive, I was never able to buy anything them and since dizzygirl says that she is on a budget.

thats why I didn't suggests them.

take care

6. Re: Week in Jordan - as solo Western woman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 04:19