We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointment Over Jordan

NYC, NY
11 posts
Save Topic
Disappointment Over Jordan

Hello,

I recently traveled to Jordan a month ago and spent a few weeks there. It was not the best experience I had traveling anywhere and I am sorry to say that I would never willingly go there again. While Amman itself seems nice enough, it was tough finding good venues to go to besides the usual McDonalds, cafes, and random bars which Im not into.Petra and the Dead Sea were beautiful but other that that did not find Jordan impressive at all. The Dead Sea Hotel is a must and from my understanding the least expensive of all the other hotels in the area. For Petra, Sofitel was amazing.Good food, great room, good services. Best to wake up very early and start checking it out though due to the hot weather during the day and also to avoid the throngs of tourists that start venturing out to there. I would also advise to wear protective clothing against the sun. Perhaps my most biggest disappointment was the way foreign Arabs treated the place.Seeing Saudis and such people enter mosques and then exit them to go to the nearest go go bar at the end of the block disgusted me.I did not feel comfortable and safe as well in this city.Perhaps with time as things become more developed and people become more open to the rest of the world things might change. Who knows. The worst possible tourist spot of all time though was Bayt Ali a camp in Wadi Rum. The owners of the place were not welcoming at all and barely acknowledged us. The place itself was poorly equipped. I did not get the sense that they cared about their guests. Dinner was measly,a few kebabs hummus salad and spaghetti with a ketchup and sauce base. Yuck! The natural beauty of the area was lovely but the camp itself was horrible and disgusting. I strongly recommend anyone to try out other camps in the area. We give it a 1 out of 10 overall. http://www.baitali.com/ Horrible!

1. Re: Disappointment Over Jordan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 18:51
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappointment Over Jordan

It's a shame that you had such a poor experience. My partner and I traveled independently for 10 days and every experience was fantastic, including Wadi Rum (one of only 2 photo's that I have posted on Trip Advisor). We stayed in Madaba and used a local taxi driver for a couple of trips, who could not have been more welcoming and even took us home for some tea.

In Wadi Rum we were 2 of only three guests at the camp we stayed in and we had a meal of chicken, potatoes and vegetables cooked the traditional way in a hole in the ground all of which was delicious.

We also visited Jerash, Mount Nebo, Kerak, Dead Sea, Petra, Aqaba and Dolphin Reef (Eilat).

At no time were we ever disappointed and if it was not the fact that we have a huge list of places still to visit we would return in an instant.

A persons experience obviously depends on the people they meet, we based our entire itinerary on www.jordanjubilee.com which was completely accurate in all the details that we chose.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappointment Over Jordan

I strongly dissagreewith psycho..I am a 70 year old woman who sprnd 2 weeks in jordan in may 2006 and loved i had a car and driver that I booked bedforehand but after 16.00hrs Iwas alone In Petra Iwalked at night and ate well with wine ,because

they did not accept

credit card Iwas $5 dollars short and wHen I went back the next day they wouldn,t accept it

I spend 2days in he desert without my driver and met young women from Us Of course it is rudimentary it is the desert I shall always remember the silence when i venture away on a camel and the stars ,the sunset and the sunrise I spend the whole night talking with a young women from the USa

A who was teaching in Jordan and at sunrise the "bedouin" asked us to join them for breakfast at a bivouac ,was it hygienic ? who cares it was a good experience

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappointment Over Jordan

Psycho,

I must strongly disagree with you. We are from Texas, USA and fortunately we did not see it as you have described it. We visited also Jordan on August 23, 2008 for 4 nights and 5 days trip. We were 6 of us. After we visited lovely Amman, we departed to Wadi Rum (one night with 3-hr 4X4 tour, next morning to Aqaba (stayed at the Intercontinental, deluxe suites with Sea view for one night), next to Petra, (We stayed at the Moevenpick Resort Petra for a one night and went to Petra by night), next to the Dead Sea (stayed Moevenpick Resort) and then back to Amman. All arrangements were made from USA thru Jordan tours (www.jordantours-travel.com) as a package, 5-star hotels and meals with 24-hrs driver included during the 5 days.

You know there are thirty some camps in Wadi Rum. Just because you had bad experience at Bayt Ali camp, Wadi Rum Lawrance Valley Camp; where we stayed, had the best Sunset view & the view of the millions of all kind of STARS. We stayed until 1:00 AM while listening to the stories of the Arabian Nights, and by then the appearance of the moon behind the dark mountains. Most of the tourists slept outside the tents. Yes, the camp furnished mattresses and slept while watching the stars.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disappointment Over Jordan

Sad to hear you felt so disappointed when 99$ of visitors to Jordan enjoy their experience.

Amman is a small city - and depending upon your areas of interest, perhaps could be construed as boring . . . I don't know.

What kind of things were you looking for ? Amman

has fine restaurants, art galleries, theatres, culture centres, cinemas, zillions of cafes (as

its a cafe culture as opposed to a bar/pub culture)

Having said that, there are bars and pubs to cater for those who need such places. There is a city tour bus, turkish baths, open air swimming pools,

parks, historical sites, blah, blah, blah like

any other similar country.

Regarding the Saudis coming out of a mosque and going into a go go bar . . . I'm curious . . .

how did you know they are Saudis ? Usually the last prayer of the day called the Isha prayer finishes well before the opening time of most of the go go bar type places which open after 11pm. In any case

why should you feel disgusted if they went in there or not? What has that got to do with you and your holiday ? You are not on a moral crusade so why should that incident bother you ?

You said you did not feel comfortable or safe - was that because the saudis went to a go go bar ? or was there something else? Amman is a very safe city, a thousand times safer than NYC - and especially for women. Jordanians are open and friendly people and more sophisticated than the average American but in a humble less arrogant way.

As for developed, what does that mean ? developed in what way ? Since development in terms of Americans is measured by the number of US fast food outlets one has, lets say Jordan has every kind of US fast food outlet you can imagine . . . how more developed do you want ?

If I come for a visit to NYC I don;t focus on the droves of homeless drug addicts on the streets in what is the super power of the world and the richest country . . I focus on the positive things. Neither do I zoom in on the numerous bars and night clubs catering for peoples different perverted fantasies.

I try also to be positive about the high risk of being mugged and other street crime for which I might become a victim and take reasonable precautions.

I do not let all these negative aspects stop me from enjoying the wonderful NYC and the many wonderful people I might meet along the way who have nothing to do with the negative aspects of their society which will always exist and have always existed.

One must be realistic - like not expecting al a carte food in the middle of a desert.

Sorry psycho - whilst I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit I think the reasons rests with yourself and not Jordan.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disappointment Over Jordan

Dhiban,

I am 100% in agreement with you Dhiban. You really have to look at Psycho’s 11 destinations that she posted in this Forum and one’s will figure out as to why while she was travelling, she was looking within herself rather than capturing the exciting moments and enjoy the experience. Let me assure you that not all New Yorkers who travelled to Jordan feel the same way as Psycho. I empathize with her as we see from reading her other posts that it seems she was looking for “Cheap” hotels and traveling under “tight budget”. I hope that someday she will have the chance to go back and enjoy the experience that we experienced when we visited Jordan on August 23, 2008. Keep the good work, Dhiban!

7. Re: Disappointment Over Jordan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 17:18