We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Absolutely clueless

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Absolutely clueless

My dear husband has suddenly expressed a desire to go to Jordan after reading an article in a travel magazine.As usual,he has asked me to do the research.I am supposed to compare it with one or two other holiday options nearer home.

If money were no problem I wouldn't be so stressed.We have an expensive cruise booked for next autumn and this is to be an additional spring holiday of about 7-10 days.Apart from the fares,I have no idea how much to budget for such a trip.Are we better to hire a car and drive ourselves around or just take tours and cars with driver .We would want to see Petra,Wadi Rum or similar,the Dead Sea and one or two nature reserves such as Azraq Wetland and Dana Biosphere.

We'd like hotels with pools some of the time but prefer not to pay Four Seasons prices.Does Jordan have small privately owned hotels with a reasonable amount of comfort or are most hotels part of big chains?

I really don't know where to start to get an idea of cost for the two of us.Is petrol dear and eating out?

All suggestions and advice would most gratefully be received.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Absolutely clueless

No need to be too expensive. Jordan is perfectly easy and safe to travel around independently. My partner and I had a marvellous 10 days in October 2004. We based our entire itinerary on the information from www.jordanjubilee.com

We started and ended at the Mariam hotel in Madaba (before they had the pool) and the owner gets good rates (and no commission) with local taxi drivers. He does it for the love of his country. We usd a local taxi driver for transfers from the airport to Madaba, to Dead Sea, to Petra (with a stop at Kerak).

We also shared him with another couple for Jerash and Aljoun Castle and had him to ourselves for Mount Nebo (he then took us to his house for tea and to meet his family). We found the ordinary Jordanian people ask for and expect nothing but are welcoming and generous in return.

If you want a holiday that gives you a feel for Jordan and it's people, this is better than an organised tour staying in hotels with hordes of tourists. See my previous posts for further info.

(By the way, if it makes any difference at the time I was 46 and my partner 50 - so it's not just for intrepid backpackers).

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Absolutely clueless

Thank you Purrfecttune,

I have been on to the site Jordan Jubilee.It's certainly full of information.

I am still looking in to various options.

London, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Absolutely clueless

In 2005 we used JordanEcoTours in Amman to arrange an independent itinerary for two of us with a car and English-speaking driver. All hotels, entry to sites, two evening meals and entry to all sites plus guide at the main sites were included at a cost of just under $2000. It was the best trip! The people were so friendly and welcoming.

Make sure you include a trip around the desert castle loop which can include Azraq (where we walked around on a boardwalk which would once have been 20' underwater and saw no wildlife at all!), and Jerash and Um Quais to the north of Amman. Jerash in particular is a spectacular site.

Link for Jordan Eco Tours - http://www.jordanecotours.com/

4. Re: Absolutely clueless

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 13:20