We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Aqaba

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Aqaba

Hi all,

I've been reading the Jordan forums for a while now as we're looking at coming over to Jordan for 7-10 days in Sept or October.

I've travelled around the Middle East about 8 years ago and stayed in Jordan for 2 weeks but my girlfriend has never been.

We are in our early 30s, love history, food, diving/snorkeling etc and enjoy winding down with a few beers each night.

I've thought it might be good to rent a car and see the main sites (Petra, Wadi Rum (overnight camel trek), Jerash, Dead Sea etc). Ideally we'd land in Amman and have 4-5 days driving around the country before heading south to Aqaba and relaxing on the beach and diving etc. When I was last over I had a 3-4 day pass for Petra and absolutely loved it. This time I think we'll only be able to spend a few days looking around Petra.

I can't remember where I went to float in the Dead Sea?? Can anyone help me out with planning an itinerary to include the above places and maybe adding to the list any places I may have missed??

Thanks in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

Has anyone stayed at The Captains Hotel in Aqaba?

I forgot to add it to my above post even though it was the thread title!!!

Cheers!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

Thanks for all the help guys and girls!

Aqaba
Level Contributor
505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

Hi faceman,

The beaches where you can enjoy floating are on the northern part of the Dead Sea.

You can go to Amman Beach (entrance fee is JD 10 or 11) or buy a daypass to the hotels' beaches.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

Cheers Esteh!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

Hi Faceman, with only 4-5 days before heading to Aqaba, you're limited to what you can do. An idea, land in Amman, get rental car, stay in Madaba. From Madaba you can either take a 1/2 day trip up to Jerash, it takes about an hour each way then return to Madaba and see the mosaics and stuff there. The next day, depart Madaba by way of Mt. Nebo to the Dead Sea, then Kerak castle on your way to Wadi Musa for the night. Petra for a day, stay in Wadi Musa again and depart early morning for Wadi Rum and overnight camel trek. The following morning head to Aqaba. There are more things that you can add in along the way, depending on your timing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

Cheers for the help... I think we might try and spend 10 days there to give us more time to spend in Aqaba on the beach...

Insha' allah

Jo
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

Hi faceman

you can spend three to four days in amman:

- have a day trip to jerash and ajloun castle

- spend a day seeing the city center and the roman theatre in the centre of amman

- have a day trip to madaba and visit mount nebo and churches of the area

you can spend one night at the dead sea for relaxing

spend one two days (one night) in petra followed by a desert camping at wadi rum and a 4wd tour.

then end up your tour with two to three days at aqaba for diving and snorkeling!

renting a car is a good idea .. driving is easy and renting 08/09 car would cost around 25 euros / day.

keep on mind that september will be the holy month of Ramadan (muslim's fasting) .. so most of restaurants wont serve food before 6 pm (time to break the fasting) .. plus night life / bars will be either closed or would keep its activity to the minimum! perhaps october is a better option.

Bristol
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

I was looking at some other Topics and came across yours... although late in comment.. hope it helps..

Captain a great "boutique style hotel".. only down side.. no alcohol/bars.. but you can drink in your room if you need to! And you can do so elsewhere in Aqaba..

For Amman it will be a whistle stop tour it seems..

jerash and Ajloun a must.. Desert Castles good but can be missed if not time..A must is Kings Highway to Madaba - Wadi Mujib, Kerak to Petra - beautiful drive...

Dead Sea.. You could do this on your way back up from Aqaba to Amman... Amman beach is the place to stop make sure it the newer one. The Hotels are so *** expensive JD 50 per person entrance at weekends!!

Or splurge out and spend last day and night at one of the 5* hotels there..

Wadi Rum trip make it from Aqaba or own your way down to Aqab from Petra. Leave Petra in afternoon to Rum, overnight and next morning early do a camel trek until mid-day then carry on down to Aqaba...

Yes watch out for Ramadan in September make your trip after the Eid 24th Sept .. it will be better that way...

Hope that helps..

9. Re: Accommodation in Aqaba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 07:41