We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport alert

Michigan
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport alert

The women on our flight departing Ammam were physically full body hand searched numerous times. This was performed in a separate cubicle and every time they discovered another item (such as money belt, credit cards, etc.) they made us take the valuable item over to the conveyer belt which was completely out of our sight and then return to begin the search over again.

Other passengers complained their valuables had been stolen since they were out of sight and in a jumble of many peoples' belongings.

When I protested...I was told this was at the request of the US government.

I will never fly out of the Jordan airport again. If I ever feel the necessity of visiting Jordan (which I doubt) I will return to the place of origin and deal with another country.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport alert

Anyone flying into the USA from anywhere is stuck with those extremely strict measures. In Europe and North America they have what we call strip scanners that give the people monitoring them a great show of what you look like under your clothes. You either can go through that or be hand searched.

Unfortunately they are correct, it is a USA enforced rule. It seems every time I fly through the USA we are subject to some very violating situations. I've never experienced that anywhere else in the world other than when going through customs to get on a USA flight.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport alert

Lorraine - sounds like you were rather traumatised by the whole affair and I hope the rest of your journey was fine.

Unfortunately nowadays air travel can be rather traumatic due to the large number of procedures and checks one has to go through before the journey even starts - is a measure of the times in which we live.

This is not limited to Jordan and in fact because Amman airport is a small airport the procedures are less invasive and inconvenient than many other airports like say London Heathrow where even your mascara and other cosmetics have to be separated and placed in a separate bag for scrutiny before one even undertakes the numerous body screening, take your shoes off, and hand body searches, x ray etc etc.

Levels of search depend upon security alerts, carrier requirements etc and can vary in intensity. These searches are for everyone's well being and peace of mind and one should try to be positive no matter how inconvenient or invasive the procedure is.

Regarding the items placed on the scanner - its doubtful anything would have been stolen so its unfair to make such an unfounded allegation unless one has a written proof from the authorities reporting such a theft. The scanning machine is a mere 1-2 metres from the cubicle you mention, unlike other airports where the machines are considerably further away.

I would imagine misplaced - perhaps in the moment of confusion. Small items are generally placed in the small boxes available and are individual.

The scanner isn't deserted it has a minimum of 2 staff maybe more - there are many supervisors around to request assistance - all with appropriate badges.

There is maybe a little inconvenience due to the airport undergoing massive renovation and extension so one must always try to be patient.

Last summer was chaotic with all the extra tests and questioning regarding Swine Flu (procedures again instituted by the US-in the main) - I was considerably inconvenienced and delayed during a transit flight in Istanbul to London and almost missed my connection - but I'd rather that than get harmed, infected or worse still spread an infection to anyone else.

Lorraine Jordan is a small, nice and friendly country which only tries to protect the people who travel to visit this wonderful country.

Michigan
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport alert

We fly out of the country at least twice a year. This is the first time I was exposed to such invasive techniques. I am tired of people and governments excusing invasion of my personal space by saying it is for my own good. I'm not ready to give up my individual rights EVEN for my SAFETY! Especially, without a choice.

That said, we were searched in a closed cubicle where we could not see the conveyer belt or our small and very valuable items.

I guess if given a choice, I'd prefer an impersonal X-ray machine to someone putting their hands on my body.

\

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport alert

lorraine we are all inconvenienced in the name of war on terror and other such phases. This is a sign of the times in which we live The only choice we have is not to travel if we feel that bad about it - but really - we all have to be patient because better safe than sorry, right? Moreover, our personal rights have to be sacrificed sometimes for the greater good - whether we like it or not.

Regarding the method of security - its all much of a muchness - some people cannot use airport scanners because of pacemakers and other medical conditions . . so its a case of you can't please everyone all the time. I dont know why you should feel so concerned by a 30 second body search by a member of the same sex in a closed private cubicle. Its a relatively small inconvenience in the whole plan of things actually.

Try visiting Israel, the most security conscience in the whole world - multiple searches by various means aren't uncommon - but deemed necessary by the powers that be . . . if you object you'll be refused entry and quite rightly so.

Be patient and try to get used to it - its a small price to pay for enjoying the delights of this beautiful world.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport alert

Lorraine, I agree they are starting to cross that line between guaranteeing safety vs violating my rights. The USA is more of a reactionary country with the war on terror, making implementations after something happened instead of making efforts to stop it before it happened. Unfortunately, flying into the USA is a major hassle from just about anywhere.

Michigan
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport alert

I have been to Israel.....There is a way to check without being personally invasive.

And I disagree, sometimes dignity is sacrosanct. I suppose violations depend on cultural expectations. If you are raised to feel your body is inviolate, then 'beauty' of exotic places is not worth subjecting yourself to that. There are many many beautiful places in my own country.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport alert

Lorraine - I agree - the US government certainly feels that people's bodies

are inviolate when it comes to National security - their concerns are then ordered on to every Tom Dick & Harry who happen to be flying to the US.

Its called Homeland Security I think aka The war on terror and a few other euphemisms.

Here in the East the body is sacred - be it male or female but especially female hence why you see women covering up in various degrees from a simple hijab (scarf) to full cover head to toe - because the body is sacred so you can't disagree that Eastern culture is more careful about this than their western counterparts and certainly as far as Eastern culture is concerned neither screening is totally acceptable but especially x-rays as this gives a full view of the female body and is accesible to males to scrutinise - so therefore to many its unacceptable but . . . required in the interest of security etc etc.

Perhaps your visit to Israel was a long, long time ago . . . high levels of security are unfortunately invasive my dear - and necessary in this day and age.

We all set our own limits in whats acceptable and whats not - but I really think you are directing this posting to the wrong avenue - it should be addressed to : 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest

Washington, DC 20500-0003, United States

or the FAA or Homeland Security or whoever in the US is responsible for

making the rules about flights to the US.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport alert

To add to Dhiban's point, security was raised pretty dramatically around the world for US bound travelers on December 25th, 2009 because of a terrorist unsuccessfully detonating a bomb on a flight into Detroit.

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport alert

to PP

what a flip flop,,,,, you have become,,, : )

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport alert

How so?

In fact, if you are just going to chase me around every thread I post in and try to attack me because I proved Jordan is NOT the safest country in the world, than at least do yourself the favor of supporting yourself rather than looking like a bitter fool.