We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic

We want to visit Jordan after visiting Egypt. We would like to spend just a few days there and then on to Israel. For sure we want to see Petra and anything worth while in close proximity. Is a couple travelling solo doable? Are drivers readily available at reasonable prices getting between points? We will appreciate suggestions.

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Practicalities

If you are arriving and departing Jordan from Aqaba, then Wadi Rum is well worth a visit, and an over night in one of the camps,,, pius the tour,, of course.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Practicalities

I travelled solo in Jordan in December and met many couples doing what you propose. For sure there is no problem with it.

I second aqaba99's recommendation of Wadi Rum. To get the taste for it, rent a DVD of Lawrence of Arabia - most of the desert scenes were shot there.

Taxi drivers are very eager to take Western passengers, but be prepared to haggle and spend some time on bargaining - foreigners' impatience is highly profitable to Jordanian drivers, who apparently have all the time in the world to quibble over a few dollars. I got a taxi from Petra to Aqaba for 20 dinars but I hear most pay 30-40. Doing this deal took about 20 minutes.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Practicalities

Well petrol has gone up 3 times since then - so frankly I doubt you will get a taxi for 20JD. Are you sure Petra to Aqaba or Wadi Rum to Aqaba ? If its from Petra ....... the guy must be paying from his own pocket to take you.

Depending on where you want to travel to Israel from as Jordan has 3 borders with Israel. You could incorporate a lot of very interesting sites.

4. Re: Practicalities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 06:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor