We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drving in Jordan

phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
drving in Jordan

We are traveling to Jordan with our adult son. We have a limited time (only 3 1/2 days) to travel outside of Amman. We are adventurous and experienced travelers and would prefer to drive ourselves to insure we can pack the very most into our trip.

We hope to see and fully experience the Dead Sea, Wadi Run, a Bedouin overnight camping trip, and see the Red Sea and possibly snorkel there. And of course visit Petra.....I have researched and see that cars are availble to rent in Amman, but it appears that most people hire taxis and do day trips....we would love te have more flexibility . Any input on experiencing Jordan would be valued......thanks so much! Sheilah Dancer / Architectural Impressions / Phoeni, Arizona

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drving in Jordan

I just returned from Jordan in early April. If I had 3.5 days, this is how I would do it...

I would leave the driving to others.

Take a taxi to Petra. You need at least one full day to appreciate Petra.

Continue to Wadi Rum the next day for an overnight stay. I highly recommend Obeid Amamreh's camp in Wadi Rum. You can arrange for him to pick you up from Petra.

Then spend the next day in Aqaba.

After Aqaba, drive to the Dead Sea for some much needed relaxation.

phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: drving in Jordan

thank you so much...do you have a hotel in Aquaba you would recommend....or activities that you found especially interesting....we had tthought we might attempt snorkeling....since we are not divers....any thoughts?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drving in Jordan

Hi sheilahkd, other than enjoying the beach you could visit Ayla, the oldest Islamic city ruins built out of Arabia,located close to Movenpick hotel in Aqaba (if you are into culture, this will be very interesting to you). It is also very nice hotel. From Aqaba you could visit Petra and Wadi Rum as well, in my opinion it is much more worth than spending time on the beach. 3 and half days is already very little so I hope you get best out of it. Cheers.

phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drving in Jordan

Can you give me any added suggestions or Wadi Rum and Petra....I am reading my guidebooks thoroughly...but personal suggestions are usually more valuable....Thank you!

5. Re: drving in Jordan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:17