We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Rates as of now

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
333 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Rates as of now

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the current exchange rate is in Jordan to the dollar, I hear it is a fixed rate. I'm trying to determine whether to exchange in advance in Denmark or do it at the airport. Many of the posts I've read have said NOT to exchange in my home country because I'll get bad rates, but the same people are saying there are really bad rates at the Jordan airports. I'll do the conversion myself to see which is best, but it would be helpful to know what the current rate of exchange is for USD and Euro at AMM. I know the euro fluctuates, but what is the approximate current rate at the airport now? I have plenty of USD, euro, and DKK, so I will see if its worth it to exchange here first.

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Rates as of now

Hi guest,

The best place for exchange: Arab Bank

And the current rate of exchange: http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Rates as of now

Thank you Ali. I'm just curious about the website. In my experience, the currency exchange places do NOT follow the rates online - they are more expensive. Isn't that the case in Jordan too? I was hoping to find out how many JOD I would get for, say $100 USD , if I exchanged at the airport. Is there any chance you know this information?

Thanks,

Sandi

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Rates as of now

The usual rate of conversion used by "in the street" traders is 3USD=2JD. This is just by the thumb, the official rate is 1USD=0.70JD.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Rates as of now

thank you Amariya!

Odense
Level Contributor
391 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Rates as of now

The Airport exchange doesn't necessarily give the best rate, don't change all your money there.

Jordan
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Rates as of now

Just to answer your question about the online rates. These are what are known in the trade as mid market rates,, this is the rate you will get if you are exchanging large amounts of money, ie you are a dealer or in the business of currency. You will never get the rate posted online when you exchange $300 or $1000 or whatever in any case, also since the varying points difference is usually insignificant if you exchange $300 but very significant if you exchange $1 million + With small amounts you are losing just a few dinars. In Jordan you can say this is compensated if you exchange $US at currency exchange offices, as they do not charge commission. I hope this explains it for you.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Rates as of now

sandiUK,

the Jordan Dinar is tied to USD, and the rate is fixed,,, unlike the euro or the GBP.

the USD rate to JOD is between: the 0.708 low - 0.710 high

btw. money exchange outlets banks, do charge commission,, the commission is within the exchange rate.

ciao

A99

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
8. Re: Currency Rates as of now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:17