We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan by wheelchair

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Jordan by wheelchair

Exploring this possibility - my wife uses a wheelchair but can walk a little over a good surface with assistance. Has anyone any experience in this area who can advise us on just how feasible sightseeing around Amman, Petra etc is?

australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan by wheelchair

Can not answer for all but it will not be possible to sightsee in Petra - there are no tarmac paths and the rocks and gravel would make it very difficult.

Amman is built on a number of hills, apart from this there should be no great difficulties.

Jerash and Umm Quais would be possible with some difficulties due to the uneven paths.

The Jordanians will help as much as possible and I did see a lady in a wheelchair in some of the desrt forts

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan by wheelchair

Thanks for this - the shortage of answers so far suggested there may be problems! However, never willingly defeated, we do some more work on this one.

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan by wheelchair

Can you ride a donkey or a camel?

For Petra you can get a carriage right down the Siq to the Treasury, then it is possible to hire a camel or a donkey to see a lot of the rest of Petra. Bargain hard though!

We had someone in our group with limited mobility so I know that they will allow this - normally the carriages don't go right down to the Treasury. You probably need to find out about this from the ticket office when you get there.

4. Re: Jordan by wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 10:33