We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary questions

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary questions

I am putting together my itinerary for a 4 day visit to Jordan in January 2-5 (i'm not including travel days). I apologize to all in advance, as I know these type of questions are asked repeatedly.

Essentially I'm trying to figure out if I should give one and a half days to Petra, or if I should use the extra time to explore other areas in Jordan, such as MT Nebo/Madaba/Kerak or Um Quais/Ajloun. I am afraid that after traveling to other places like Turkey, Israel and Morocco these sites will seem repetitive, and I will regret not spending more time at Petra, which is more unique. What are your thoughts?

Itinerary #1:

Day1: Drive to Petra early am, non stop. Full day visit. Petra at night.

Day2: Petra half day. Drive to Wadi Rum. Jeep tour. Overnight at camp.

Day3: Drive to Amman, with stops along the way (is it possible to see sites along the way, or the drive itself from Wadi Rum is too long?)

Day4: Amman city tour, Um Quais, Ajloun

Itinerary #2:

Day1: Drive to Petra with stops at Mt Nebo, Madaba, Kerak, Shobak. Petra at night and overnight.

Day2: Full day Petra. Drive to Wadi Rum in the evening. Overnight at camp.

Day3: Wadi Rum jeep tour. Drive to Amman and overnight.

Day4: Amman city tour, Um Quais, Ajloun

If we were to visit the Desert Castles, where do they fit in the itinerary?

We are good walkers, do not mind long days with an early start, and like to see as much as possible. Not looking for a relaxing vacation or time at the Dead Sea/ Red Sea resorts. We cannot extend our stay, and our travel days in and out of Jordan take the full day, so no tours can be accomodated on these dates.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary questions

Welcome to Jordan,

Itinerary # 2 much better :).

Day 4 visit Amman (city tour), Jerash, Ajloun, and skip Um Qais.

You can visit Desert Castles on day 3, but it will be a long journey from Wadi Rum to there (Approx 4 hours)

Sunset in January at 4:45pm

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary questions

So I guess your advice would be that one day in Petra is enough.

Thanks for pointing out sunset time, I had not realized it was that early.

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary questions

You welcome,

In order to visit all the mentioned places, one day is enough to visit Petra

Jordan Beauty Tours

4. Re: Itinerary questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 20:35
Sainte Adresse
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary questions

Hi nytoparis

It seems my message got deleted. Maybe because of a link to my blog, but I rechecked the rules and it was just to be able to give extra info, nothing businessy...

So what I said was that I went to Jordan in May for a week and I really enjoyed it.

I totally understand your point of maybe it being too repetitive and Petra and Wadi Rum are pretty special.

I personally had 2 days in Petra but got tired after one and a half. There is a lot of walking and stairs and I started at 6am the first morning to enjoy the treasury almost to myself.

However I met a group that did so much in one day: climb to the monastery, climb to the viewpoint over the treasury and climb to the high place of sacrifice. But they were pretty beaten up and a bit overdosed at the end.

You can definitively see a lot in one day, or just the major sites. The other half day gives you the opportunity to visit some less touristy part of it.

Regarding the desert castle, I did the tour. They are quite unique but not mind-blowing so with only 4 days, I would not recommend it. I have written a post about this tour on my travel blog (that I just started) but will not write the link this time, sorry.

I am sure you will enjoy either way.

Happy travels!

Claire alias ZZOE from ZigZag On Earth

Odense
Level Contributor
386 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary questions

Concerning day #4: the weather and the road conditions will perhaps / perhaps not be difficult that time of the year.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary questions

Thanks claire

8. Re: Itinerary questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:19