We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - January 2014

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,518 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - January 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful short holiday in Jordan. Thanks to all forum users for your help in planning this vacation.

For our tour company we used Petra Night Tours (see separate review). They were very easy to work with and provided a great service.

We arrived in Amman in the evening and were picked up at the airport and transfered to Toledo Hotel. The hotel is not centrally located, but it was good enough for one night. There were a few restaurants nearby, but we chose to have dinner at the hotel. We felt safe exploring the neighborhood even though it was close to 11pm.

Early next morning we set out for our road trip en route to Petra. We stopped at Madaba, Mount Nebo, Kerak (with time to explore) and Shobak. The latter we only saw from afar, as we wanted to get to Little Petra before sunset. After Little Petra, we checked in to Amra Palace. For dinner, we walked to the main street to Petra Butcher BBQ. Good food and decently priced.

We got back to the hotel for some rest, and were later picked up to attend Petra at night. I must say, this is one of the best travel experiences I've ever had.Try to go the night before you explore Petra, so you do not know what to expect. There will be candles lightning up the path. Once you reach the Treasury, you will sit down in rugs and tea will be offered. Then there's a show-some siging and music. This while you look up at a thousand stars in the sky. Next day, when you visit Petra, you will be mesmerized at all the stuff you passed along the Siq you could not see at night. In january, it was a bit chilly when you sat down, but it was rather warm when you where walking around. So be sure to wear layers. A headlamp can be useful but it is not necessary.

Next morning we got to Petra at 7:30am and stayed until 4:30pm. We had a wonderful guide arranged by Petra Night Tours that explained the site. I usually don't use guides, but I have to say that we got much more out of the experience. Get one if you can. We had him for 3 hours, enough to explain the different sights at the Siq, the Treasury, the Royal Tombs and the roman ruins. Once we were finished with the guide, we hiked up to the Monastery. It took us about 45mins. We are in our 30s and we exercise regularly, but we are certainly not athletic. After we got to the top we rested for a while with a drink from the shop. On our way down we did some souvenir shopping at one of the little shops set up along the way. Better prices than at the ground level. The lunch buffet at Basin was 13jod and exactly what we needed to get some more energy to hike to the area of the royal tombs. After this it was getting late so we did not hike up to the high place of sacrifice. For us, one day of Petra was enough. If you don't think you can walk that much on one day, then split your visit in 2 days.

We then drove to Wadi Rum to stay at Rum Stars Camp in the protected area. There were 6 more people staying there for the night. We had a great dinner prepared on site by 2 wonderful young men from the bedouine tribes. They made sure we were comfortable and answered all our questions. Be sure to bring a headlamp and dress warm for the night. In January it was cold, but not unbareable. One blanket and one comforter were enough to keep us warm.

Next morning we took a 4 hour jeep tour were we saw the rock bridges, Lawrence of Arabia castle ruins, sand dunes and bedouine writings. By 1pm we were taken to the Arava border, where we crossed to Israel. Please see my trip review for that part of the trip.

So that was my trip. A few other things that come to mind:

Airport visa: There is an ATM and exchange from a jordanian bank right across the visa desk. There will be other ATMs at the airport arrivals, but none are from foreign banks. So feel free to get money here, no point waiting to get outside the airport.

Safety: As a woman, I felt completely safe the entire time, even when we walked around Amman late at night.

Roads: The roads were well paved and traffic outside of Amman was minimal. Don't think it would be too hard to drive if you are so inclined.

Language: English was widely spoken.

Our stay was only 3 days, but it sure felt like a lifetime of experiences. Jordan is now one of our top recommended destinations (after Iceland). If you have more time, include Jerash, Umm Quais and the Dead Sea in your visit.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - January 2014

Thank you for sharing trip .I am sure some travelers will find it helpful in their planning

You dnt seem to have visited/experienced the downtown Amman.All tourist attractions in Amman are.

The market,Roman Theater,Amman Citadel mountain with panoramic views over Amman Hills. The New Jordan Museum ,cafes,art galleries and heaps more.

Your hotel Toledo is some 4 kms away at Abdali.A taxi ride cost just one jod.

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,518 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - January 2014

We didn't have much time, so we decided to leave out the city and focus on the other, more unique areas of Jordan. But from the little we saw while driving we could tell it is probably a great city to explore.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,518 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - January 2014

This is the link to the Israel TR:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k709…

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - January 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoyed reading it.

haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - January 2014

I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks so much for taking the time to write. I went to Jordan for just a quick five day visit myself and then returned a year and a half later to taken in sites that I didn't have time for the first visit. Don't be surprised to find that such a small country can have such a big impact. I am a solo, female traveler, and the only thing I found unsafe was learning to cross the street in downtown Amman.

6. Re: Trip Report - January 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19