We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

We plan to enter Jordan (having left Taba and then Eilat) at Aqaba and then travel up to Wadi Rum and Petra. We then plan to go to Jerusalem from Petra (Allenby) and spend 10 days in Israel and then cross back to Amman for a few days (Allenby) and fly out of Jordan from Amman.

I am confused by conflicting information and have had trouble finding official statements on the following questions:

1.Is the free visa issued at Aqaba valid for one month or two weeks. I have read conflicting statements.

2, I found this statement:

"Arrivals at Aqaba, either through the port, the airport or at the crossing from Israel or Saudi Arabia, are granted a free visa to Jordan. There is no obligation associated with this visa, provided that they leave the country from the same border and within 1 month of arrival, and that they do not need to renew their visa."

visitjordan.com/visitjordan_cms/…Default.aspx

We are not leaving Jordan at Aqaba - rather at the international airport in Amman - so where the above statement says we must "leave the country from the same border", does that mean that we wont be able to get a free visa at Aqaba?

3. Do we need a mulitple entry visa for Jordan? I have read this:

"If you leave Jordan at the Allenby/King Hussein bridge crossing with Israel, then return while the visa is still valid you do not need to buy a new one. This is because West Bank is recognized by Jordan as a part of Jordan."

www.projectvisa.com/visainformation/Jordan

4.Will we have to pay two lots of exit taxes from Israel (because we exit Israel at Eilat and at Allenby)?

I would be grateful if anyone could point me to where I can find official information on these questions.

We are travelling with children so don't want to get this wrong!

Thank you for your help

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Hiya Paula! The visa issue is a bit confusing, at first!

To answer one of your questions, you do not need a multi-entry visa for Jordan. If you enter the country via Aqaba (or Sheikh Hussein in the north), you receive a single-entry visa on the spot {i.e., visa on arrival}. If you then actually leave Jordan via either of these borders, your passport is stamped as you having left Jordan. Thus you used your single entry visa, which is no longer valid, upon entering Israel from either of these two borders. Hence, in order to return back to Jordan, you may reenter the country via either of these borders and, again, receive a single-entry visa-on-arrival.

If you leave the country from either of these two borders, then you must prearrange another visa for Jordan before reentering the country via the Allenby/King Hussein crossing, because as you already stated, visas are not issued at the Allenby/King Hussein border.

If you enter the country from Aqaba/Sheikh Hussein and visit Israel via Allenby/King Hussein, your passport is *not* stamped as you leaving Jordan (since Jordan views the West Bank as being part of Jordan, as you wrote), thus your visa remains active for the duration of its time. Hence you may reenter Jordan via the Allenby/King Hussein border with this same visa, provided the visa has not expired by the time you reenter Jordan (which, in your case, it should not).

I hope this helps a bit and is not even more confusing for you! Post again if you need further clarification on this point. Also, others will help clarify your questions, as well. Have a great weekend and enjoy your upcoming hols. Cheers!

Edited: 08 February 2014, 01:14
CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Also, I believe that you indeed have to pay two lots of exit fees, however someone else may clarify this for you.

If you have not read the information provided in the links below, the information in these links provide useful information, regarding fees and border opening hours. Cheers!

www.visitjordan.com/default.aspx?tabid=105

…usconsulate.gov/border-crossings.html (valid for U.S. citizens, thus please also refer to information pertinent to those of New Zealand citizenship - or whichever citizenship you do have! :-))

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

*the information provided on the websites are useful (sorry for the redundancy, earlier, as well as for three posts together. :-))

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Hi

this is the current situation on borders crossing Israe/Jordan

exit Israel at Eilat/Wadi Arava border crossing pay around $ 25 exit tax

enter Jordan at Wadi Araba/Aqaba get free visa valid for ONE MONTH

exit jordan at King Hussein Bridge pay 10 jod exit tax

enter Israel you get a big smile and a Free Visa .

wait for this

exit Israel at KHB pay Dep tax 176 shekels around $ 55

enter Jordan at KHB free on same visa that you obtained at Aqaba.

hope this clarifies situation that is valid at present time.

If you have any other question please dnt hesitate to contact me

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

Petra
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Anybody arriving in Aqaba can if they wish, ask for a normal visa (20JD) instead of the free ASEZ visa. And this is exactly what you will have to do if you want to exit and re-enter Jordan via King Hussein (Allenby) Bridge: The free ASEZ visas differ from the usual Jordanian visa in that they expire when you exit Jordan at any border. So they CANNOT be used to re-enter Jordan at the Allenby/King Hussein Bridge in the same way that a normal Jordan visa can. Have a great time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Hiya Patricia! Cheers (to you and Raymond) for the helpful information.

Just to clarify, a visa from the Sheikh Hussein border is eligible to leave and reenter Jordan with via the KHB, given the appropriate dates of validity of the visa, ja?

While at Aqaba, there are indeed two tourist visas offered, as Paula had initially read about - the free, "non-reentry" visa and the visa that is the same as the one always obtained at northern SHB and to the prearranged visa? Shukran!

Edited: 08 February 2014, 14:50
Petra
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Yes that is absolutely correct.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Wow Thanks guys for clarification of the conditions of the ASEZ/free visa

What a way to make money from visitors.any way they can.

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

Thanks for all those posts. That sorts it all out for us.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 07:36
Doha, Qatar
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jordan / Israel Visas and exit taxes

We will be visiting Jordan and Israel in April. We will exit Jordan at the Allenby Bridge, then we will re-enter Jordan 3 days later via the Jordan River / Sheikh Hussein Bridge. Will we have to purchase a second single-entry visa upon return tomJordan, or will our initial visa be adequate? I also wanted to verify that visas can be purchased at the Sheikh Hussein bridge since I read that they are not given at the Allenby Bridge. Thank you for any help you can give!