We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Hello,

I am thinking of visiting Jordan this summer with my family (2 kids, 8 and 10). It seems like many people visit Jordan through guided tours. I have always planned my vacations independently, so this is a little new to me. Is it better to visit using a tour company? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
24 replies to this topic
Amman
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Independent is the best!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Independent is better,flexible and cheaper.

remember to buy Jordan Pass for adults only

children buy them visa on arrival

https://www.jordanpass.jo/

cheers

Raymond

Amman Free Walking Tour

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Petra
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

I agree with above posts, if you're used to traveling independently then just do that, there's no need for a tour. Have a great time !

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman
Level Contributor
12 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Hi,

I, myself, would never go with a local company to be honest cause their services ain't satisfactory.

You're an independent traveler as you said, all you need is the following.

1- Internet (7-12 USD) for the sim card 5 gigas

2- You book the stay and plan the destinations prior your arrival

3- Rent a car, (25-35 USD) for sedan car e.g. kia, Hyundai or double the price for 4*4 car / day (I could refer you to a good rental agency to get good price)

4- DRIVE, and cross the country from Amman, to Petra, Wadi Rum and Aqaba in the south or Ajloun, Jerash in the north.

5- Locals are kinda good with English, you won't struggle that bad with this.

Let me know if you need any help, and enjoy the stay.

Mentioned in this post
Amman
Amman
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
Aqaba
Aqaba
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

We did independent travel in Jordan and had no problems. You really don't need a tour guide for any of the major sites. There are English signs almost everywhere, especially in Petra and Jerash. We asked hotels staff for restaurant recommendations and we were never disappointed.

We rented a car for the drive to/from Petra, which allowed us to stop and explore at our leisure. We did hire a driver for a day tour of Amman, Jerash and the Dead Sea. This allowed us to view the scenery instead of concentrating on the road and navigating. It was also a lot of driving in a day!

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman
Amman
Kearny, NJ
Level Contributor
109 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

How easy and safe it is to drive in Jordan from south to Amman? Going with wife and 13yo daughter, was having the same question, on my own or tour.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman
Amman
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

tourists and visitors to the country driving on the road without any problem or safety issue

have great time in Jordan

Raymond

Amman Free Walking Tour

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman
Amman
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Hi, No need to book guided tours. We came back to London from Jordan yesterday after spending 8 nights, independently. We also usually plan all of our trips independently and didn't have any difficulties in doing the same for Jordan. Rented a car from Amman airport, drove to dead sea, then Petra, followed by Aqaba and then back to Amman for taking the return flight. Used smartphone apps for sat Nav, bought a Zain network SIM from the arrivals hall at the airport with 4 GB data for 10 JOD approx.

Diving in Jordan isn't difficult or dangerous, most people follow all the rules, just have to be a little more attentive than in Europe or the US, and there is hardly any traffic unless when going in town centre.

Didn't feel unsafe anywhere. However, On one occasion felt that women dress more conservatively (full sleeves/legs covered) in old town centres like in Aqaba and better to follow the same when visiting such places, so as to not offend the locals. But more of an observation; didn't face any issues.

The only places we took guides were 1. Staying in desert camp for a night in Wadi Rum with half day tour of the desert (pre booked)

2. Hired a guide for 1.5 hours walking tour in Petra (Main Trail) from the ticket counter. Although we had already explored it ourselves the previous day, we were interested in the history of the place

3. Also hired a local Bedouin guide (15 JOD) at the spot in front of the Treasury monument to take us to the top point (and back) from where you can take pictures with Treasury in the background looking down at it. It is a short but difficult hike and figuring out yourself which rocks to climb isn't easy.

Hope that helps. Have a good one.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman Airport Hotel
Amman Airport Hotel
624 Reviews
Amman, Jordan
Aqaba
Aqaba
Amman
Amman
Europe
Europe
World
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Also, We bought Jordan passes online before travelling to Jordan, as it includes visa cost, two times entry to Petra (Petra by Night is JOD 17 extra at the ticket window), and entrance to Wadi Rum (plus more but we didn't use them). Recommended if you are visiting these places anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Petra By Night
Petra By Night
1,754 Reviews
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: independent exploring vs. guided family tour

Thanks all the posts here they are all immensely helpful. Just like lorikd2016 we are normally independent travellers but when we travel to Jordan in July this year we want to have a driver so I can spend more time with kids rather than concentrating on the road. Can anyone please recommend a good driver? We plan to do a 14 days trip to the usual tourist stops. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Reply to: independent exploring vs. guided family tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted