We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Which Amman hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
1 post
Save Topic
Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

I have tried to direct this letter to the airport. However, they don't even have a customer service email.

I am a British citizen who have traveled to so many countries in the middle east as I am highly interested in the culture and the history. Every Arabian country I have been too I have been showered with kindness and hospitality. That is Until I arrived in Amman. I have spent many years learning the arabic language and I have become quite fluent. The first thing I saw was - the way they treat western people. They pretty much are butt kissers. They treated me with respect and dignity. but the same man that treated me with so much respect had just treated another Arabian with such discust I could not believe my ears (they were speaking in arabic - and he obviously thought I don't understand) what i learnt from their conversation was:

Iraqi Citizen: God bless you (hands him his passport)

Jordanian staff: Another Iraqi (sighs)

Iraqi Citizen: Is there a problem brother?

Jordanian: (looks at him irritatingly and ignores him)

Iraqi Citizen: I checked before I left Iraq and I was assured I have no problem in getting in and.....

Jordanian Citizen: shut up a second (he interupts him while staring at his passport) wait here (he gets up and goes to speak to another staff.

the Iraqi man stands there waiting and I hear him speak to himself - from what I could hear i make out a prayer.

The jordanian man comes back and simply says: You wont be seeing Amman.

Iraqi man: (very politely) for what reason?

Jordanian staff: Firstly, I don't have to tell you why, I have the right to refuse entry to whom ever I wish. so shut up and wait there. go back to your country and stay there.

Another Jordanian staff gestures him to follow him while the Iraqi man is practically begging and explaining to him that he has sold everything he owns to come here and pleads him to have some mercy and understand his situation. the man simply ignores him and looks at me with a wide smile pointing me to come over saying: Yes sir, Welcome sir, how was your flight sir......

I could not believe how nice he had become to me.

That iraqi man had done nothing wrong but his life had been ruined by a jordanian staff member simply because he didnt like the look of him. I have never been this angry before and I really felt like telling him he doesnt even deserve to be treated as a human being himself. I then hear another jordanian staff member screaming in arabic at other Iraqis to get into a room and an Iraqi man saying "My wife cannot sleep in a room filled with strange men! have mercy, god bless you, please do not be this way, we have done nothing wrong......." etc. etc.

After he handed me my passport I said to him "Allah esamhak" which means God forgives you. he did not reply as he was too stunned.

I will never forget this experience and will never ever return to Jordan. I have lost respect for Jordan and what I thought was a loving country. These people truly have no clue how to treat humans and truly are the most racist people I have seen. I make this harsh comment due to the many Iraqis I have met in Amman during that trip that have told me their stories and how they treat Iraqis.

I truly hope that god somehow puts you through what you are putting these innocent people through. NO ONE DESERVES TO BE TREATED THIS WAY.

SHAME ON YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR COUNTRY.

UK
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

I agree with all you said about the airport staff, i am english and my husband is Iraqi. When we arrived at the airport my husbands passport was taken away and they let me keep mine but then they came and asked me if I was british by birth, i assured them I was but they then asked for my passport and started disecting it. They then took it away and after an hour An official came out and questioned us about why we were in the country( we had been to Iraq to visit family and were staying in Jordan for a week as a holiday) He disappeared and another man came and questioned us, eventually we were given our passports back and allowed to go on our way but it was quite disturbing to be treated like this.

Fortunately the rest of our stay in Jordan was blissful and we found the Jordanian people charming!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Whilst I completely agree that treating anyone like this is shameful I think one has to bear in mind the current situation. As a result of the current Iraq war Jordan, which had a population of 5.5 million, now finds itself dealing with an influx of approximately 1 million Iraqi refugees. Jordanians must be totally overwhelmed economically by this.

Unfortunately the US government is allowing only around 500 Iraqi refugees into this country each year. Now that truly is a disgrace!!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Sky-Marcus, please read the comment by Phebert, who explains the situation clearly and concisely .

New York, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Sky-Marcus

You can't blame the Jordanians really. Jordan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. It has been overwhelmed economically and socially by the influx of Iraqis and crime has increased dramatically(statistics show that unfortunately, the majority of perpetrators are Iraqi).

This doesn't excuse discrimination of course, but airport officvials are just overwhelmed i'm sure..

I wish you have mentioned ordinary Jordanians in your complaint who are among the friendliest people on earth. And by the way I've seen some of your British airport officials and how they treat brown and black skinned visitors. It wasn't a pretty sight either, so pls don't generalize and know that there are backgrounds to each issue.

UK
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Yes Goldkeld its a shame OUR countries invaded them and drove the Iraqis out of their homeland isnt it??!!

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Hi

You can't blame all Jordanians and their country for that, but as said before, take into consideration the situation in the region, and do not forget who caused it. also please read the other replies to your letter.

Paris, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

No, moham, the shame is people making statements like your last one.

Paris, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

I should re-phrase my comment: What I meant to say was that a TRAVEL forum is not a place for those types of comments.

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Hi

I'd be really grateful for some help on this issue. I had planned to travel to Jordan on 22nd March and meet my boyfriend there for a week. He is an Iraqi-Kurd and will be travelling from Kurdistan. These posts have worried me that he may not even be allowed in the country. He is calling the embassy and I have already emailed them but any information anyone can provide will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discusted at staff of Airport in Amman

Sky Macus, maybe the officials knew more than you, its not uncommon for airport officials to question certain people regardless of their origin.

Yes, the man's treatment in yours and my eyes would seem incredibly harsh but under Jordanian circumstances regarding location to Iraq it may have been necessary to question this particular person.

Officals do not have to give a reason for anything, its their duty to make sure they follow the prodecures regarding rules within their own country.

I hope you do come back to Amman, its a fantastic city with wonderful attractions.

Get answers to your questions about Amman