We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire v taxi

manchester
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire v taxi

Hi going to Jordan for 4 days. Anyone know if it's worth it to hire a car rather than pay for taxis. Hoping to stay at dead sea and visit Petra and other places. Obviously will have airport transport costs to include. There will be 3 adults. I know hiring a car will give more freedom but need to know costs for hiring v taxi fares to make a decision. Also ease of self driving. Any help gratefully recieved

1. Re: Car hire v taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2013, 12:59
Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire v taxi

Hi,

omran is correct,

for the the places you wish to visit,, hire a car,,,, you can pick up a rental car upon arrival at the airport, and avoid the transport costs.

for a medium salon car,, from a major car rental company is around 45JOD per day... the same car with a driver, is around 70JOD,,,, or you could send omran a PM.

ciao

A99

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire v taxi

I do not know the prices for a hired taxi, but we have rented a car on several occasions and it cost us 25JD p.d. at our hotel, -(the tank was dead empty though.)

We never had any problems, neither with the roads, nor with the very friendly guys at the police check points. Just make sure to have all your papers with you.

Only Amman city tends to be a bit confusing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire v taxi

Hi, we just returned from a 5 day self drive trip to Jordan...and i'd drive again tomorrow. We found it cheaper, more of an adventure, total freedom and safe. We opted for meet and greet at the airport.This was a great idea as it gave us a chance to get our bearings.......our first destination was the dead sea.. a chance to chill and adjust.The next day we picked up a car at our hotel...easy peasy. The only things to watch out for are: dont speed..police are everywhere i kid you not, they might pull you over anyway just to have a look, so dont freak if they do, just smile! Ramps on main roads, road surfaces are unpredictable...other than that just enjoy the open road and the scenery. Finally don't forget to have roaming on your mobile..if you run into trouble it could be your only lifeline....Gps personal choice..we love maps...and found navigation simple. Have fun, wish i was back there!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,378 posts
1,537 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire v taxi

Hi,

Ditto on hiring a car - its very easy to drive outside Amman...however in the city it can be a headache - I suggest picking up the car from the airport and dropping it back at the airport. Take a taxi into Amman.

see link below for additional info .

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12010-Trip_Rep…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21344-Petra.ht…

6. Re: Car hire v taxi

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 13:05
7. Re: Car hire v taxi

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 06:18