We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

floating in the dead sea

Which Amman hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
u k
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
floating in the dead sea

is it too cold to float around in the dead sea in February

also does the minerials ruin your swinwear or was out easily

i would appreciate your replies#thanks you

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: floating in the dead sea

I think visitors to Dead Sea can float all year around.i was there few times in mid winter no problem may be not too long.

The swim suit can wash off with shower but i had my expensive leather sandals wrecked after being in the water.

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: floating in the dead sea

Can't help with water and air temps, I would only say I am a bit of a wimp with these things.

As to mineral content there is a kind of parallel with the mudbaths in Southern Turkey. Both the mud and the thermal baths have a high mineral content. You are advised in advance to wear old stuff that you do not mind being ruined and never to wear silver jewellry. My swimwear came out OK but apparently silver stuff will turn either green or black and likely cannot be restored.

Just think about gritting/salting after snow back home and consider what happens to your leather shoes.

John

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: floating in the dead sea

For additional info regarding swimming in the Dead Sea,

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293985-d318…

The minerals do not ruin your swimwear.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: floating in the dead sea

Just did a Dead Sea float a few days ago. It was a bit cool as I eased in but, once in, it felt warm. We just brought some old shorts/tops and disposed of them afterwards so we didn't have to worry about the wash while traveling. Have fun. A "must do" in my book.

Beaverton
Level Contributor
160 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: floating in the dead sea

We were just there a week ago. It took some will to get in, but once you're in, not too bad. We didn't stay in for long, but worth the pictures:)

6. Re: floating in the dead sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 05:16